Open Borders

This section contains archival material from former Forum users.
Membership forms: http://www.abpa.org.au/membership.html
keats

Re: Open Borders

Post by keats » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Bill, I think Dennis did post it in poetry form. If we all get so PC'd we may as well not write. Imagine if Lawson and Patterson and Morant were censored so severely in their time. Anyhow.

I am undecided and can see both the Humanitarian side and also the risk factors of an open door policy.

Having been involved years back in transporting illegal Victorians into Queensland, I can see that by doing so we severely improved the standard of citizenship in Queensland whilst also giving those Victorians a better climate to whinge in. We avoided an open door policy simply by refusing The New South Welshmen entry over the border. Of course since the change of Government in Queensland, they have started infiltrating the North and bringing their gang mentality with them. Other cultures such as Tasmanians and South Australians have also tried, but been held in detention in Victoria because of the similar climate, and their ability to brag about wine and the Crows. West Australians don't really want to live over this side, so that's fine.

As you can see, it is not fully relevant to the boat people, as we used to use Mini-Vans but somewhere in there may be some similar analogies. I will wait on throat People issue until I find a certain pattern of where they are coming from and what they were running from.

So put me down as 'undecided' in the short term.

Must run, the Mini-Van is full again.

Neil Ibraham

Dennis N O'Brien

Post by Dennis N O'Brien » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Right....6 to 3 now plus 1 undecided and Bill totally PO'ed with the whole thing. ;)

Thanks to all for all the comments. :)

Ain't freedom of expression grand - trouble is, in this country it's not guaranteed. :(

Dennis N O'Brien

Post by Dennis N O'Brien » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:58 pm

matt - great to hear from you, your optimism is inspiring. :)

Bill - what the hell is "Poetry that was not R R M" ? :?

Marty - Freedom of speech can be legislated away here in Australia, less messy than violence.
(as has already happened - something writers should be somewhat worried about
- even bush poets) :shock:
Unlike in the US it is not enshrined in our constitution.

For Strangers arriving uninvited on boats : 7. Against: still 3. undecided: 1 (piker) :)

keats

Post by keats » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi Matt
I did find a wry smile in your PC comment Neil….mental health no, immigration yes ?

Yes, I am happy to see people post their poems on any topic here. Starting threads on subjects with no relation to Poetry, no. If we just opened the forum to political and welfare arguments, then we lose what we are about. The argument in the Depression thread started out as opinions and quickly became intwined in a personal confession thread and settled down when some poetry was added and has not reared it's head since. Here we see a member posting a poem and others commenting on their opinion of what is said within the poem. So you really cannot compare the two (enter another wry smile here for effort). ;)

Cheers

Neil

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:40 pm

Good points, Matt. And Bill, poetry has long been used for political and social comment. C. J. Dennis contributed over 3000 topical pieces to the Melbourne Herald over 16 years. Anyway, to balance up the verse side of things, here's some more:

Welcome, Stranger

I met a man the other day
who screamed, and cried, and tried to say
that he could barely stay afloat
while clinging to a sinking boat.
I thought a bit, then said to him:
“I’m sorry, sir, you’ll have to swim.
I’d like to help, I really would,
but politics insists I should
consult a file and check you out
so I can know, without a doubt,
that you’re a proper refugee,
and not a threat to folk like me.
If you were white, and Christian too,
the chances are I’d welcome you,
but, sir, you look distinctly odd,
and I don’t understand your god.
You have no passport, and your claim
of persecution seems quite lame.
Have you been tortured? Clearly not,
and how am I to know just what
these threats of death you say you’ve had
might really mean…are they that bad?
For all I know they’re just a lie
so you can sneak in here and try
to steal our jobs and break our laws
while trumpeting some foreign cause.
I know that you have come quite far,
but just right now, the way things are,
our politicians can’t agree,
so sir, I must reject your plea.
But don’t despair, I’ll do my best…
here, take this nice flotation vest
so you can splash about a while
as I go off to find that file.
There might be space to squeeze you in
if you’re an athlete who can win,
or if you’ve got a skill we need,
and not too many mouths to feed.
But otherwise, I’m sorry, mate,
we’ll simply have to shut the gate.
You can’t assume, because we sing
of “boundless plains” that you can bring
a mob of people over here
to eat our food and drink our beer.
I’ve heard that somewhere there’s a queue
designed for people just like you,
and if you want to try again
take my advice…and catch a plane.

© David, 13/07/12

william williams

Post by william williams » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:36 pm

Dennis several times I have submited Poetry that was stated it was not Bush poetry but Free verse. Bush poetry is as stated poetry that has Rhyme Rythm and Meter R R M

bill the old battler

keats

Post by keats » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Love the poem David. Great read and thanks for lightening the mood.

Cheers

Neil

warooa

Post by warooa » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:34 am

Good one David. I agree, surely amongst the sub-continental refugees there must be someone who possesses that inate leg-spinning ability.

Marty

Dennis N O'Brien

Post by Dennis N O'Brien » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:46 am

Thanks for clearing that up Bill.
Well written David - maybe someone at SBS could translate it to Tamil and Persian.

Interesting that my poem which is about the exploitation of lax sea border controls
by opportunists has attracted comments concerning race and religion which it neither
mentions nor infers. White Christians seem to be fair game and I dare say there has been
a lot of "white flight" from South Africa etc. but I think that they have come through the
normal channels.

With regard to poetry about social issues and politics, I would have thought it to be an
important element of Australian poetry, particularly poetry that the average Australian can understand
i.e. formal poetry. It certainly has been in the past, just read all of Lawson's poems for instance.
(mind you some of his if read aloud in public would no doubt land you in court these days)
I certainly love the poems about nature, history and the yarns etc. but at a time of great social change
and community division and when some on the far left are advocating restrictions on freedom of
expression it is surely important that poets are able to express their views one way or the other.

Thanks for all the comments and I've stopped scoring as those supporting the illegal breaching of our
borders are clearly in front. (at least those who are commenting) :)

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:53 am

.. my bit,

If I met one of these 'boat people' on the beach, I would without a doubt, give them all I could in the way of assistance. However, the hoards shown by the media provoke another feeling altogether. I think it is the numbers that cause me to feel that we are being invaded. I do object to the amount of benefits the seem to be showered with.

I am not 100% familiar with how much health care they are given but it would really upset me if I discovered they were given free dental treatment and glasses and hearing aids, when I know our own old folk (and other pensioners) don't get these. Race, creed, and place of origin have no bearing on my feelings.

Another thought - if they can get a boat to Australia why not somewhere closer. Or perhaps if we give Christmas Island to Indonesia it may solve the problem.
Zondrae King
a woman of words