Open Borders

This section contains archival material from former Forum users.
Membership forms: http://www.abpa.org.au/membership.html
Bob Pacey

Re: Open Borders

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:42 pm

Out local paper did an interview with a refugee and I was amazed when he stated that he had left behind a wife and three kids as they could only afford to send one person on the boat ? Sort of put a new perspective on it ?

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:18 am

...being poor doesn't make you a refugee does it? If I was seeking refuge from persecution I am sure I wouldn't leave my family to bear the persecution while I sought refuge in another country....on the other side of the world. Doesn't say much for the sort of people we are expected to welcome in does it?
Ross

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:41 am

I have had first hand experience with refuge claimants, like everything they are a mixed bag.

It's a concern when some of them use tactics such as hunger strikes, riots and what looks like deliberate sabotage to force their way. Their bona fides is rightly questioned in those cases. I doubt if we can resolve much about it here though, no matter how insightful our liitle poetry offerings might be.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:26 am

It was never said or inferred that all boat people are illegal imigrants Neville, unfortunately it appears that most are. I just find it strange that people are quick to jump all over Dennis's poem contents with their opinions, and lets face it , in all of our cases that is all we have, unless we are directly involved and are privy to more information than the media provides us with. Too many people are convinced that the problem is all just a political stunt and so use the humanitarian card to put their own beliefs or opinions forward rather than consider ALL the facts, the media can be blamed for much of this, but people just choose to believe what suits their agenda the best....unfortunately that usually means leaving out much of the truth.
Ross

Rimeriter

Post by Rimeriter » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:24 am

The truth for me is that which I know, that which I see and that which I feel.

Just as I would from reading an interesting and informative poetry piece.

Again. I say - BUGGER.
Jim.