HERBIE - THE DOGS OF WAR

All registered Forum users can post bush poetry dedicated to all those who served
Maureen Clifford

HERBIE - THE DOGS OF WAR

Post by Maureen Clifford » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:22 am

THE DOGS OF WAR

I am reposting this as it appears with the new site the old stuff has gone to God. Herbie was a dog that was taken by the Army from the Redcliffe Animal Shelter and trained as a Mine Detection Dog/ Explosives Detection Dog EDD (my two girls come from the same shelter - so that formed an instant connection).

Sadly Herbie and his 2 human mates gave their lives for this country and it made me think that whilst we honour the men - rightly so - who acknowledges the part that the dogs have played and as a result of my thoughts I wrote the poem below . A copy of this was given to Darren's widow.

I then started to wonder a bit more (always dangerous) and as a result of / or possibly because of/ or maybe despite my nudges, pokes and inquiries to a few people - the Dogs of War and Herbie especially have been commemorated by a plaque laying ceremony at Redcliffe.

That made me very happy (secret 4 Heather)

DEDICATION OF PLAQUE FOR EDD HERBIE

The management and staff of the Peninsular Shire Animal Shelter (Redcliffe Region, Queensland) have remembered EDD Herbie as one of the dogs which they had released to Sapper Darren Smith for training as an explosive detection dog. They mourn the loss of EDD Herbie, and all war dogs, and are to commemorate this fact with a simple plaque dedication ceremony at the Animal Shelter commencing at 1100 hrs Friday 29 October 2010

John Quane

Secretary

ADFTWDA

HERBIE - THE DOGS OF WAR

He was a dog of no account, a mongrel breed someone threw out.
A Kelpie with a bit of Blue, perhaps some Border Collie too.
A dog endowed with working genes and sense of smell that's mighty keen.
The Army boys said, 'He will do, he's just the type we want it's true.
The work is hard, the terrain tough but we know this blokes got the stuff.
He's got the stamina to work all day and this bloke will not shirk.'

So Herbie went to war as well. They relied on his sense of smell.
For Herbie's job was finding mines, thus saving those who walked behind
and on this day he found the trace; they saw it written on his face
but who would know the Taliban would detonate the mine by hand,
and Herbie's life came to an end along with his two mates and friends
before the mine could be disarmed – three mates were gone and others harmed

And Herbie's just one of a score of dogs that work – The dogs of war.
Each day bravely they lead the fray – with just a pat received in pay.
They give their all, their second chance. Time may be short, but just a glance
from one bloke in a uniform sets their tails wagging – Desert Storm.
Part of a team, the men rely – on canine smell and canine eye
and if perchance the canine dies – then men in uniform will cry.

So here's to Herbie, Hammer, Jack and and those that didn't make it back.
To those who served, and their lives gave – four legged people, loyal and brave.
Who snuggled up when nights were cold – whose furry ears were often told
of the anguish and fear that dwelt within – they sympathized, men felt
the caress of a warm wet tongue, they listened when there was no one
but them to talk to in the night – when waiting for the call to fight.

He was a dog of no account, a mongrel breed someone threw out.
Now Herbie's guarding Heavens Gate – right alongside his Human mates.

Maureen Clifford © 08/10

Sappers Jacob Daniel Moerland, 21, and Darren James Smith, 25, were killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan their bodies were reunited with loved ones at the RAAF Base at Amberley, in Queensland.

Sapper Moerland had been in the war zone since February, 2010 and Sapper Smith served less than two months. Sapper Smith's bomb detector dog, Herbie, was also killed in the blast.
The dog has been cremated in Afghanistan and his ashes are expected to be delivered to Sapper Smith's wife. The two young soldiers had the most dangerous job of their contingent - clearing roadside bombs ahead of their army comrades.http://www.abc.net.au/news/photos/2010/ ... 921885.htm

LEST WE FORGET

Heather

Re: HERBIE - THE DOGS OF WAR

Post by Heather » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Maureen you should be very proud of yourself. It's not the things we do for ourselves that give the greatest satisfaction, but the things we do for others. It is very rewarding.

You're a champion Maureen. XX

Heather :D

Maureen Clifford

Post by Maureen Clifford » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:11 am

Says she who is working her rear end off producing a cook book to help raise funds for the Victims of the Bushfires down there, as well as organizing some girls nights and camping weekends to help alleviate the stress of fire victims and other things too numerous to mention. If there are champions around young Heather you are a Melbourne Cup Winner.

And you are right - doing things for others does indeed give a great sense of satisfaction.

Go girl power.

Cheers

Maureen

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:33 am

You know who has the most fun at those girls' nights out, don't you Maureen?

You can call me young any day, thanks Maureen.

Heather :lol:

Maureen Clifford

Post by Maureen Clifford » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Good on you Heather that's the way to go

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:53 pm

I so enjoy this poem Maureen & also what has happened with your poem. good stuff eh!

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm

See today Sarbi the black labrador EDD was dog was officially honoured.

Chief of Army Lieutenant General Ken Gillespie said he was very proud of the "professional and dedicated work of our combat engineers and dog handlers, and the vital role they play in keeping our soldiers safe on deployment".

"I am thrilled that the RSPCA has chosen to honour Sarbi, and by extension, all of army's working dogs and their handlers with this award," he said.

Sarbi went missing in Afghanistan in September 2008 following a battle between Coalition forces and the Taliban.

During the engagement nine Australian soldiers, including Sarbi's handler, Sergeant D, were wounded.

Sarbi was discovered by an American soldier 13 months later and was reunited with her handler.

RSPCA national president Lynne Bradshaw said the Purple Cross recognised the deeds of animals that had shown outstanding service to humans.

"I think there's no doubt that Sarbi has shown an incredible resilience and strength that should be recognised," she said.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.