Homework 16th December 2019

All Registered Forum Users can participate in the writing exercises for the current fortnight.
Users can also participate in comment and constructive feedback in this Workshop.

Moderator: Shelley Hansen

Catherine Lee

Homework 16th December 2019

Post by Catherine Lee » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:04 pm

Icon

On the track north to Alice, the edge of the Earth seemed to melt in the shimmering sun,
whilst spectacular scenery greeted the eye with a harsh terrain second to none.
As I gazed out at sands that seemed vast and unyielding, I pondered what fates could befall
an unfortunate soul who was lost, bogged or stranded out there with no help near to call.

And I shivered for those who might show disrespect for this sparse land of tussock and stones,
or offend its custodians, risking their wrath or the terrible curse of the bones.
I imagined a string of immense working camels stand out against darkening sky,
and reflected on men who’d intrepidly laboured - explorers of days long gone by.

But for me there was nothing to do but reflect, and no sands of the Outback to face—
no itinerary pending, no timetable needed, just time to select my own pace.
I felt grateful and humbled by all they’d achieved, and the myriad challenges met,
staying true to their vision to open the Centre – for surely we owe them a debt.

As the sun turned the sky to astonishing grandeur, the emptiness deepened to grey,
I awaited the night with its millions of stars to astound in a dazzling display.
Then allowing the clickety-clack of the train to relax me as onwards it ran,
I reclined with a smile in my comfortable seat on the splendid, illustrious Ghan.

© Catherine Lee, Dec 2019

Terry

Re: Homework 16th December 2019

Post by Terry » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:30 pm

G/day Catherine -
I'm glad you accepted the challenge; and as I would have expected, you have made a pretty good fist of it too.
I had wondered how you would go about doing something with this one, and as usual with you, you have come up with a good story once more - it's very well written as well.
Travelling on the Ghan is as good as any way to head to the Alice - Have you travelled on the Ghan Catherine?

Cheers

Terry

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Great use of the prompts Catherine. Travelling on the Ghan sounds like a sensible solution to me, outback travel is for the intrepid and the experienced drivers IMO, I wouldn't be game to attempt it. This line said it all -
And I shivered for those who might show disrespect for this sparse land of tussock and stones,
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:39 pm

Thanks so much, Terry and Maureen, for your very kind feedback, which is always so much appreciated!

Yes Terry, I was indeed fortunate enough to travel on The Ghan from Darwin to Alice return back in 2006, and it was a wonderful experience. I love train travel anyway, but looking out on all that empty space from my safe little compartment was unforgettable!

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:00 pm

Excellent as always, Catherine - and I particularly love the ending!

I'm still working on mine - woefully late but hopefully posting soon ...
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:01 pm

Thanks so much, Shelley x