Homework for week ending 19.03.2012.

All Registered Forum Users can participate in the writing exercises for the current fortnight.
Users can also participate in comment and constructive feedback in this Workshop.

Moderator: Shelley Hansen

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Homework for week ending 19.03.2012.

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Right oh you mob lets see how good you really are - and who is up for the challenge.

We are going to have a go at A bush verse Limerick. It has to rhyme, has to have an Australian theme, can be funny or not, and you can write it about anything.

That should give those of you strapped for time no excuse to not have a go because we are only looking at five 5 lines.

As a rule of thumb for the uninitiated they go like this -

Rhyme Pattern: The last words of the first, second, and fifth lines all rhyme with each other. We’ll call those rhyming words “A,” . And the last words of the third and fourth lines rhyme with each other. We’ll call those rhyming words “B,”

Rhythm Pattern: The first, second, and fifth lines all have this rhythm pattern: da DUM da da DUM da da DUM (notice there are 3 DUMS or beats). Say, “There once was a fellow named Tim” out loud. Now say, “da DUM da da DUM da da DUM” out loud. Notice that both have the same rhythm. The third and fourth lines have a different rhythm pattern: da DUM da da DUM (notice there are 2 DUMS or beats). Say, “He fell off the dock” out loud. Now say “da DUM da da DUM” out loud. Notice that both have the same rhythm.

If any of youse have an idea as to what you would like to have a go at for our fortnightly homework exercise do let me know. Nothing is set in concrete - it is all just a bit of a fun exercise to try and get you an keep you writing. No one is going to kick your sorry ...rhymes with pass.... all the way to Woop Woop if you make a blue.....so what's stopping you. Come on you mugs have a go.

Thanks to the participants in the last fortnights homework. As always some good work came from it. just not very much

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.