Homework w/e 3.8.20 - ON YA BIKE

All Registered Forum Users can participate in the writing exercises for the current fortnight.
Users can also participate in comment and constructive feedback in this Workshop.

Moderator: Shelley Hansen

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Homework w/e 3.8.20 - ON YA BIKE

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:06 pm

ON YA BIKE ... Maureen Clifford © The #ScribblyBarkPoet

When I was a kid I wanted a bike - I knew that I'd be happy then.
I could ride it to school, to the beach, to the pool - never have to walk home again.
And my Dad made a promise that he'd buy my bike when I learnt how to ride without falling.
So I borrowed a mates, we had bike riding dates, but my record alas was appalling.

I fell on the gravel, I fell on the grass, I fell into the park rose bushes,
I grazed up my knee, and stained my white jeans and frightened the swans in the rushes.
The pain it was real and each bruise I could feel, but my balance it seemed was alarming
for although in much pain, and with little to gain - nowhere at all was a Prince Charming.

I finally gave up when my ankle I broke, when a fence and myself were entangled,
it still gives gyp today I am saddened to say, 'cause I did a good job it was mangled.
A conclusion was reached, my ineptitude breached, though a Libran seems I was unbalanced
with my feet off the ground I was so far from sound it would seem I was vertically challenged.

So I lifted my game, and to horses I came, they to me were kindly empathetic,
although to be fair I have to say they, were also lots more energetic.
On horses I could stay and could ride them all day, with never a fall or a tumble
I found love that lasts - six decades have now passed, and their presence still makes me feel humble.

Yes I wanted a horse, like most young girls of course, but we hadn't the money or paddock,
and had I owned one when down under we came then doubtless I would have raised havoc.
So now I have dogs and I love them of course, but I still have a passion for ponies,
or brumbies these days is where I rest my gaze. I've no time for Government cronies.

Now I'm seventy two and I'm feeling quite blue for I've no bike, or horse to be riding.
Save Fernando the brave - he's my wooden horse slave, who with me and my dog is abiding.
I've considered a trike, an electric bike, but my Sister gets quite incoherent
for she claims I will fall and bring shame on us all and her arguments quite a deterrent.

So I sit here in gloom in my Covid locked room and consider the horsepower I own.
There's my old Kia car with one thirty horsepower - so in fact I perhaps shouldn't moan.
I might go for a ride, see the view from outside - get some sunshine and wind in my hair.
But deep down there's a kid whinging still God forbid, crying out for a bike ....so beware.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Neville Briggs

Re: Homework w/e 3.8.20 - ON YA BIKE

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:22 pm

Good on you Maureen, :lol: it has the proper galloping rhythm for the bike ride and the horses , and a good yarn with a bit of reflection on the physics of mounted adventures :) :o . ( I'm working on mine, it's harder than I thought it would be :P :oops: )
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:35 am

Definitely a good yarn, Maureen.

I did have a bike from when I was about 13 - necessary for the ride to high school - but like you, I had a few tangles with it. I still have the scar on my right thumb knuckle from the time when my bike had an argument with a fresh patch of gravel on the road, and threw me off!

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Terry

Post by Terry » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:56 pm

G/day Maureen
We kids all wanted bikes didn't we, but money was scarce back in those far distant days,
and the need for a bike was well down the list for what could be afforded.

A good poem Maureen and very descriptive as well

Terry

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:55 pm

Thank You Shelley, Neville and Terry for your kind comments .... and it was a hard challenge Neville but glad to see it floated your boat :lol:
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:17 am

What a great story, Maureen! It sounds like we were exactly the opposite, because from my first tricycle at age about four I always had a bike, whereas my experiences with horses were never pretty, ha! I didn't fall off them per se, but getting them to move at all was my failure, because although I love these creatures to bits, they also used to frighten me, and of course they sense this and know it when they have incompetent riders on their backs! I really enjoyed reading this poem.