H/work for June 2022 - BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE

All Registered Forum Users can participate in the writing exercises for the current fortnight.
Users can also participate in comment and constructive feedback in this Workshop.

Moderator: Shelley Hansen

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

H/work for June 2022 - BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:59 pm

BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE ... Maureen Clifford © The #ScribblyBarkPoet

When winter winds come blustering from off the craggy tops
and snow and sleet are filtering through branches without stop
when brumbies shelter 'neath the trees, camouflaged 'mongst snow gums
it's then here in Australia we know that winter comes.

The landscape now has changed its look to a dull pewter gray
the sun is hiding behind clouds - no sunbeams light the way,
and all the gum tree leaves a shiver as by wind they're tossed
whilst huddling for warmth the brumbies hides are white with frost.

At Cradle Mountain now the landscape's dressed in blinding white,
the night sky is an eerie green thanks to the Northern lights
On the east face the snow accumulates it seems with ease
and those adept at skiing seem to make it look a breeze.

For those folks less adventurous Mt Mawson is the go
no need to struggle upwards simply latch onto the tow.
The price is right as well no need to be a millionaire -
when it's on at awesome Mawson you'll be wishing you were there.

In Queensland - home of sunshine - June sees winter winds appear
a sure sign that come August , Brisbane Ekka will be here,
along with whipping westerly's, that see temperatures plunge,
which will for a short period all summer clothes expunge.

Doonas and Ugg boots reappear as the temperature drops,
if it falls beneath 24 "there's snow up on the tops"
we all predict, whilst shivering and hugging hoodies tight.
Thinking of camp fires flickering and marshmallows tonight.

Our winters in Australia are of a short duration
compared to other countries we are quite the warmest nation
which is just as well I'm thinking for I doubt that we'd survive
if temps consistently fell down to less than 25.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Catherine Lee

Re: H/work for June 2022 - BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE

Post by Catherine Lee » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:15 pm

Nice one, Maureen....It has been so very long since I've experienced a winter that I sometimes forget what it's like, but your well phrased words bring it back clearly, and with some lovely images. Sometimes I crave the cooler temperatures, although I'm sure I'd complain when faced with those whipping westerlies, just as I used to when visiting NZ and coming up against the bitter easterlies that went right through me! You really have taken me back to the past with this, Maureen - well done!

Ron

Post by Ron » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:09 pm

Ah yes, well done Maureen. It is certainly cold outside here at the moment! (certainly lower than 25! :D)
You have covered our Winter season well, and I think we are so lucky in Oz to have such a range of climate, from alpine to tropical and all in between!
And your mention of our short Winters compared to some, made me think of some of those shows on Alaska and others, where most their Summer seems to be taken up in preparing for the next Winter! :?
Enjoyed the read thank you,
Ron

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:41 pm

Thank you Ron and Catherine for taking the time to read and comment and delighted you both seemed to enjoy it and got something out of it. I don't do cold weather well, but I don't think I could handle your humidity either Catherine - I probably am one of those who should head north for the winter, but since I can't afford that it is not an option :lol: :lol: and my Lotto results are abysmal :roll:

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Terry

Post by Terry » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:25 am

G/day Maureen
Pleased to see that all is well with you - I did wonder if you might have been caught up in the floods.

It's easy to see you wear your heart on your sleeve when it comes to Brumbies - and there's nothing wrong with that.

Your poem also brought back memories of my times in the high country you have captured it well - there's something special about that country.

Enjoyed your poem Mauree.

Terry

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:15 pm

Well you know me and animals Terry - and as for our brumbies, my very real fear now is that we won't be able to save them. It's going to take a pollie with a lot of political persuasion to turn the tide. The animal justice party are trying hard along with one or two others, but IMO it won't be enough. :( And yet I don't understand why $'s talk of course and I still reckon that Australia could make a quid or two promoting our brumbies as a unique tourist venue - via bushwalking tours, managed 4 WD tours, bus trips for the Seniors, guided tours for photographers and artists. All would/could benefit.
I envisage local small towns offering up accomodation, aboriginal groups running the bush walking and 4WD trips along with their special knowledge of country, tour groups would benefit and the brumbies themselves would be able to stay in their natural homes. We have a good industry these days in the tourism that our whales generate - our brumbies could do exactly the same.

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:20 am

Hi Maureen
Enjoyed the wintery vision! I'm one of the rare few who enjoys winter which is just as well given my postcode though many places far North of here have been experiencing the chill as I'm sure you are well aware. Thank God for wood heaters, I'm literally sitting on it as I type :lol:
Loving this months theme and the poems submitted. The brumbies hold a special place in many peoples hearts and many feel as I do that the numbers in Kosciuszko National Park are grossly over estimated-still, the culling continues. :( Lets hope sanity prevails!

Sorry to read of your loss Maureen, our pets hold such a special place in our hearts.

Cheers
Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.