Homework June - A Change of Heart

All Registered Forum Users can participate in the writing exercises for the current fortnight.
Users can also participate in comment and constructive feedback in this Workshop.

Moderator: Shelley Hansen

Catherine Lee

Homework June - A Change of Heart

Post by Catherine Lee » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:10 pm

Well, I seem to have got carried away a bit here!...I do not pretend to know all the ins and outs of this issue, so as usual with me it's definitely an emotional poem rather than a political one...C

A Change of Heart

The Northern Lights shone eerily that bitter, frigid night
and winter winds came blustering to penetrate and bite.
With snow predicted for the tops I wasn’t feeling cheered—
my Doona, Ugg boots, Driz-a-Bone had swiftly reappeared.
The campfire’s merry crackling was at least a heartening sound—
its dancing flames illuminated shadows all around,
creating an enchanting ambience that emphasized
a sense of timeless beauty, whilst the heavens mesmerised.
Reflecting on my sordid task, I skulled another beer—
the job I’d picked up recently with orders crystal clear.

“They’re pests and just destroy the land, it’s true without a doubt.
Just shoot ‘em, mate, don’t muck around - we need to wipe ‘em out!”
The troop would gather in the dawn; for now, was only three—
just Billy Smith and Big Red Murphy, Bob Kincaid and me.
I really hadn’t wanted this repugnant ugly job,
yet needed cash, so grudgingly accepted it from Bob.
My mettle would be tested, I was pushed to see it through—
despite my qualms I braced myself for what I had to do.
Some say they threaten wildlife, wreck the rivers and the plain,
while others say they’re scapegoats, we should let them all remain….

A sudden movement in the trees revealed two eyes of brown!
I reached towards my weapon while I tried to stare him down.
But something stayed my hand because he didn’t try to run,
just held my gaze as if to force my focus from the gun.
Unlikely though it sounds, he seemed perceptive and serene—
most regal and impressive beast I thought I’d ever seen.
Then gradually I realised that he was not alone;
at least six others stood behind, their bodies still as stone.
The brumbies’ hides were coated with a sheen of silver frost.
My finger stayed the trigger as I counted up the cost.

The sight they made was wonderful, held frozen there in time.
Annihilating such a gift of nature seemed a crime!
Big Red was wild. He swore and hissed, “That’s not the way it’s done!
A sitting target! Get your act together - fire that gun!”
I couldn’t do it – sorrow filled my very soul with shame
I’d ever thought to add the act of culling to my name.
I fixed him with defiant stare and knew I’d not obey.
“I tell you I won’t do it mate; I don’t care what you say.
These beasts aren’t hurting anyone, such slaughter can’t be right—
a sanctuary would make a better answer to their plight!”

I held the horse’s eyes in almost mystical commune,
at peace within the moment underneath the gibbous moon.
My choice was made. Some things are worth far more than just a buck.
I held my breath, esteeming his magnificence and pluck.
Then suddenly he dipped his head and shook his silvered mane—
a burst of frosty spray appeared like glistening drops of rain.
He turned towards the others in a signal to retreat—
they followed his command as he exhaled and stamped his feet.
My admiration knew no bounds - this vision so impressed
that deep within my spirit came conviction I‘d been blessed.

© Catherine Lee, 2022

Gary Harding

Re: Homework June - A Change of Heart

Post by Gary Harding » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:54 am

Catherine, Your "A Change Of Heart" is a remarkable ballad!

You certainly have the ability to tell a story in rhyme and hold the reader's interest. My brain slows down with time but yours just seems to engage with and embrace things more comprehensively!! ha

Although you say emotion comes through in much of your writing (like this).. I would prefer to say it is sensitivity.. and that any "emotion" is generated for the reader as a consequence of that sensitive and perceptive technique. It is a subtle difference but nevertheless important I think.

I might suggest perhaps if I may, that this poem demonstrates your empathy too... the poet's ability to place themselves in the shoes of the main character and make the reader feel that they are sharing the character's feelings. Specific feelings, which "A Change Of Heart" is equally about along with its underlying narrative, make it all alive and draw the reader in. It can thereby deliver a social message with impact.

Emotions are something that everyone has of course... but being alert and sympathetic to one's subject and letting that flow effectively into the structured word-patterns of a ballad, again as you do, is obvious talent.

As I have said before, you seem to truly climb into your verse. Your words and expressive phrases are like a back-pack that becomes part of you as you stride out like a bushwalker, on your poem project. You must surely get to a point in your intense story where you have gone so far that you think "well, I cannot turn back now". :)

I won't dissect A Change Of Heart, examining commas and specific adjectives etc... but it is always fun to see your "Catherine Lee turn of phrase". It is quite recognisable. Good fun. :)

Anyway I am always quite happy to be effusive if I see writing that is exceptional. :)

Whatever time went into writing it, I can assure you it was worthwhile. I cannot speak for others, but it gave me much pleasure.

"I held the horse’s eyes in almost mystical commune,
At peace within the moment underneath the gibbous moon."

Indeed!!

A fine job, well done Catherine Lee. OK.. back to Project work for me... the day is just starting.

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:52 pm

Wow! that is a brilliant write Catherine! (I reckon that you will go into Maureen's hall of fame with that one! ;) :D)
You made excellent use of the prompts, and once again your ability to create so many stand out lines has shone through! I feel that each line captivates, and entices the reader into the next! And as for getting ''carried away'' Nah, not at all! :D
Loved this poem and found it a pleasure to read, thank you.
Cheers
Ron

Terry

Post by Terry » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:14 am

Hi Catherine

It's certainly a contentious issue and I'm with you, Don't think I could shoot one either.
You have captured the mood and told your story well.

Always a pleasure to read one of yours Catherine.

Terry

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:24 pm

You have nailed it Catherine - not only are you in my hall of fame :lol: but might I ask if I can share this poem to my brumby groups? Fully understand if you don't wish to allow that because this is also IMO another one that would do well in comps. but let me tell you it will go gangbusters in the brumby groups as well. Your sensitivity to the issue at hand shows and I love it and thank you for it.

I think to the reality, that many in the brumby groups forget, but you have picked it up here - is that the culling of the brums is not personal to the shooters - it is a job. We all have to earn a living and if they don't do it someone else will. I get angry when people start abusing those who are just trying to put food on the table for their families. We cannot win a reprise for our brumbies by being abusive and rude or threatening people. We have to stay calm and cool headed and think with our brains not our hearts if we are to save them.

Your poem is excellent, but then we have come to expect nothing less from you my lovely :D
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:54 pm

Wow Guys, you certainly know how to make me smile (and cry sometimes too!) Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback!...

Gary, you often make me sit back after the fact and reflect on the way in which I write, which is something I don’t think about at all when I’m actually penning a poem, so this is most useful! I do like your analogy of the backpack, plus your comment about getting to a certain point and thinking “I can’t turn back now” is a good one, as this happens to me quite regularly!...Thank you also, Ron, for your lovely words about these lines. I’m delighted to know that the story captured your attention well and that I didn’t get too carried away – something I can so easily do when it comes to certain subjects, animals being one of them!…And Terry, thank you too for your very kind comments, which I greatly appreciate as always...As for your beautiful response Maureen, thank you! I’m so glad you like this poem and that I've entered your Hall of Fame! And yes, you may feel free to share it with your brumby groups if you feel it would be appreciated, because if I do enter it in a competition at some stage, I can always just revise it and change a few things around if necessary... You are quite right in that abusing people never gets anyone anywhere, especially when we’re directing protests towards those who simply need a job or whatever and are not the main source of the issue…You know, I think it quite likely that your Facebook posts may have inspired the way this poem went once I’d started it - your message is certainly getting out there in this way!

Thank you all so very much once again for your very detailed, supportive and highly valuable comments!

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:59 am

As predicted it is going gang busters in the brumby groups - been shared over 100 times so far and so many positive comments about it as well - Be Proud Catherine and thank you for allowing me to share it as well. :D
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:53 am

You are most welcome, Maureen....Yes, I wondered what was happening when my Facebook notifications started pinging away! I started to thank a couple of people personally for their comments and then thought, well, I'd better thank them all, so that kept me busy for a little while, ha!... I've been really touched by some of their warm responses to this poem, and knowing how often it's been shared and appreciated is deeply rewarding - thank you once again, Maureen xx

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:30 am

Ah blessed indeed Catherine, as we are to have such a talented writer as you! Beautifully written! Love the concept and the emotion it provokes, you had me from ''The Northern Lights shone eerily that bitter, frigid night and winter winds came blustering to penetrate and bite''-you set the scene so well I was literally reaching for a blanket! So many great lines and if I was choose a standout ''I held the horse's eyes in almost mystical commune, at peace within the moment underneath the gibbous moon"-brilliantly worded! Another winner here Catherine.

Cheers
Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:18 pm

Wow, what truly lovely and incredibly encouraging words! Thank you so, so much, Sue, you have really warmed my heart this morning and given me such a massive boost!