The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Gary Harding

Re: The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:56 am

Australia's three most accomplished (or "greatest") literary figures - Banjo Paterson, Henry Lawson and C J Dennis - surprisingly have never before had their magnificently framed portraits produced for Public display.

We decided to correct this unfortunate situation and subsequently applied ourselves to the task of enshrining them individually in permanent, custom-framed (hand-made in detail) portraits.

The first of the three I will post here is C J Dennis. (Banjo Paterson's was completed a couple of years ago)

We tried hard... and the result (below) was the best outcome that we could produce.

It measures 43cm x 53cm and was a major undertaking with much trial and error... and it drew on our existing stock of materials and frames. The backing material is a brocade-style furnishing fabric. It is also a tribute to Karen's talents, and my barracking from the sidelines. :)

What shows in the photo as yellow is actually gold. (click on photo to view it clearly)

We can only apologise to these great Australian poets that nobody has undertaken to respectfully do this job before.

Now it is done.

I hope this is special... and enjoyable for ABPA Members to see on this Easter Monday, in particular for those who share our deep love of Den... which must surely be pretty much everyone here?! :) cheers, Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:06 am

The second of our three framed poets is Henry Lawson.

The original 1900 portrait of poet Henry Lawson is by John Longstaff, commissioned by JF Archibald and was painted in Melbourne. It is held by government and sadly classified "Not On Display". Poor Henry!

We have reproduced it and then reduced the canvas size down to 42 x 30cm, losing only a small amount of visual impact in doing so. Notably the frame on the sequestered original is extremely plain and most unbecoming for such a Great Man.

To correct that treatment of Henry, we used this lovely old classic frame (60 x 50cm) from our stock in order to elevate him to the high national status he deserves. This superb likeness will be presented under the right feature-lighting for Everyone to appreciate, not kept hidden away.

At The Australian Cultural Centre Project workshop, Karen mounted the print onto a board then carefully rolled-on thick sealer in order to protect it, raise the colours and make it look more like an original textured oil painting. The frame's backing board again uses a suitable fabric.

It took quite a number of attempts before we got it absolutely right. A lot of detailed work but the result properly honoured Henry Lawson and was gratifying.

Beautiful, grand portraits have a warmth and also command respect for their subject, don't they?

Bush Balladist Henry Lawson deserves the best that his much-loved country can do for him... and we have simply done the best that we can.

One can forget government so-called "cultural institutions" these days. They are all driven by political agendas and are hopeless. I would sack the lot of them.

At the Australian Cultural Centre Project, this is the result of our effort for Henry Lawson ... and it is a national first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:37 pm

Congratulations on two very fine portraits, Gary!
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:10 am

Thank you for your support Shelley.

The last portrait of the set of three is of Banjo Paterson.

This was completed some years ago and I recall mentioning it in a previous post.

This elegant and unique presentation of Banjo is meant for eventual wall-mounting. It uses a burgundy, furnishing fabric similar to velveteen applied over a backing board. As there is no frontal glass except over the portrait itself, it is very tactile and personal. An interesting frame-within-a-frame concept.

It is temporarily hanging on a wall at Karen's house where it attracts the great interest and admiration of visitors.

As far as I can see, none of these great literary figures have been treated in this most respectful way before.

Anyway.. Australia's three greatest literary figures have been accorded the respect due to them in grand portraits... for the first time.

Following on...

The "secondary" tranche of poets such as John O'Brien, Edward Harrington, Thomas E Spencer .... there are a number of them.... have been presented individually on a (matching) set of individual rectangular metal plaques showing :

1. The poet's photo
2. A few lines about them
3. A small sample of their writing.

These are absolutely beautiful and the finish is high-gloss. We did the artwork, gave them to local people who undertook to produce them and what a stunning result. Again, this aids in enshrining these poets.

They are all packed away in boxes now, along with the displays of their respective poets. However I will see what I can find..

You firstly have to have a profound love of these Australian bush poets in order to drive such an exercise.. then secondly have the wherewithal in terms of skill (Karen) to do it.

Luckily we have both... plus I am willing to dip into my life savings to fund it all. Very worthwhile.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sun May 21, 2023 7:32 am

At The Australian Cultural Centre Project, we have a very comprehensive section devoted to Waltzing Matilda. (words by Banjo Paterson)

1. Included will be a small novelty collection of vintage WM music boxes. Visitors can push a button and hear what each one sounds like (pre-recorded).
One sample is pictured below. I would guess it to be in the 1950's - 60's

2. A previous, unique and exclusive audio-visual WM music presentation has been mentioned before (on Nov 20th, 2019). As noted then, it was made by a friend of mine especially for us.

Anyway... here is another WM version that will be featured in the Cultural Centre presented by Ross Hamilton and his family folk band Stringybark.

One might imagine this on a wall-mounted Large Screen TV in its own room with surround sound. Wow!! Very impressive!

I really recommend having a look at it. Great fun! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuqKTVcIWeU

Ross is a friend of mine and his WM version is perfect for us because it has on-screen lyrics and is so professional and captivating. It is very foot-tapping too. Holding a person's attention is the key and this will do the trick, for sure. Working with Ross as part of the team will be great fun in the folk music area when we get around to covering that aspect.

Ross has also musically performed Clancy Of The Overflow. (A. B. Paterson). It is one thing to simply show the words in a static display but in order to be something special, it takes this sort of associated material to lift it. Much is recorded on his 2-DVD set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkoLH1kf27M

Readers might enjoy the work Ross (who is a great bloke) and his family band do. :)

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Tue May 23, 2023 12:31 pm

Fantastic, Gary! Love the music boxes and have really enjoyed the wonderful music this morning! Great quality of sound too.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Fri May 26, 2023 2:39 pm

Thanks Catherine for your ongoing support which must surely go back for quite a number of years? :)

(that WM Youtube clip of Stringybark is a very cut down sample of the WM track on their DVD which in turn is far superior, longer and features much more colour)

1. Here is a recent gift of a useful cabinet for some of our (500) pianola rolls. Possibly 1930's? The veneer is in excellent condition, not knocked about or chipped. Some minor scratches can be concealed. When it is cleaned and then polished, the result will be impressive, I hope.

2. As is known from a previous post, we have a section on the Australian Bush Call .. "Coo-ee"
An addition to that section is this 1914 rare sheet music in excellent condition.. in 35cm tall, large format.
The sailor wears the cap-tally of HMAS MELBOURNE... and best of all perhaps, the illustrator was none other than Hal Gye. (C J Dennis's friend and illustrator)

Not only was it published at the very start of the war, but it is a publishing rarity in that it was the only time a publisher minimised their frontal advertising "banner" to insignificance out of respect for an historical event. (I am told)

The lyrics are very stirring as can be seen in this old newspaper article.... and make for a good ballad.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/arti ... ngaroos%22

Everyone says The Australian Cultural Centre is long overdue. We do the best we can, and are the only ones undertaking this incredibly important task with a long lead of 8 years of preparation behind us. Masses of first class displays. And no political agendas, history re-writes or social interpretations to be found anywhere ! A breath of fresh air. :)

As long as governments continue with their present incredibly one-tracked silly Compulsive-Obsession on that hackneyed subject (we all know what that is) and commit ALL their financial resources to that... then nobody bothers us or attempts to undermine our efforts by stealing. That is fine and we just get on with the patriotic job. :) Gary

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:16 pm

Adam Lindsay Gordon

We necessarily have a small attractive display relating to him but he is not a poet who I must confess really gets my interest instantly.. and at the Australian Cultural Centre (Project), one has only a few seconds to Grab people.

There are (and were) people who think he is just wonderful and that may be so. There is an Adam Lindsay Gordon Commemorative Committee in Victoria, a grand statute as well, his cottage etc.

It is a conundrum because one can only let one's own taste intrude so far into what is presented to the public. But then I feel if I do not get anything quickly from something, then our visitors almost certainly will not either.

One might reasonably conclude that a significant proportion of visitors may not appreciate poetry much above a limerick as I used to do, so anything that requires more than one read in order to have impact is doubtful. (Free verse has done nothing to endear the name of poetry to the public and will not have a presence in the Centre.. at all).

Anyway we are pleased to possess two beautiful copies of The Adam Lindsay Gordon Memorial Edition (1926). They are numbered copies of a limited run of 1000.
They are always coming on the market usually at a price of $80 - $100.

Tipped onto the front end paper is a translucent envelope (with printed caption) stating :

Wildflower
Gathered From the Poet's English Haunts

That makes the pressed flower 100 years old.
Photos here of the book are off the net... because my copies are packed away in sealed boxes along with Gordon's display.

They must have really loved Gordon passionately to do this sort of thing in 1926. I have never seen it done before.

My mother's favourite lines which she often quoted were by Adam Lindsay Gordon :

Life is mostly froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone,
Kindness in another’s trouble,
Courage in your own.

Anyway we just do the best we can for these poets... and for Australia too.. just two people using what very limited resources we have.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:40 pm

Fascinating as always, Gary.

You probably already know this piece of trivia ...

Adam Lindsay Gordon is the only Australian poet to be commemorated by a memorial bust in "Poets' Corner" of Westminster Abbey. It was sculpted by Lady Kathleen Hilton Young, who was the widow of Captain Robert Falcon Scott, the famous Antarctic explorer.

The bust was unveiled on 11 May 1934 by the then Duke and Duchess of York (later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth). It is situated near the bust of Alfred Lord Tennyson.

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:45 pm

That is both interesting and curious Shelley.

It appears that the English would like to firmly claim him as their own with his bust in Westminster's Poets' Corner.... perhaps they believe that Gordon was just holidaying in Australia? :)

However, there may well be a case for Gordon being considered English-Australian. After all, he only lived to 36 years (by his own choice) of which a mere 16 were spent in Australia. Barely time to get a suntan.

At least we can claim Henry Lawson as entirely our own Australian because as far as I am aware the Norwegians have not put in any claims.

The Gordon Display has some of his old books and other things. I think a book will be open to The Sick Stockrider? and includes the popular "froth and bubble".

Here are some lines from his poem The Swimmer :

When light in the realms of space lay hidden,
When life was yet in the womb of time,
Ere flesh was fettered to fruits forbidden,
And souls were wedded to care and crime,
Was the course foreshaped for the future spirit –
A burden of folly, a void of merit –
That would fain the wisdom of stars inherit,
And cannot fathom the seas sublime ?

Under the sea or the soil (what matter )
The sea and the soil are under the sun,
As in the former days in the latter
The sleeping or waking is known of none.
Surely the sleeper shall not awaken
To griefs forgotten or joys forsaken,
For the price of all things given and taken,
The sum of all things done and undone. A.L.G.

Open any book of his and unsurprisingly you will consistently find this sort of stuff. I cannot understand its meaning, which may well be a reflection on my poor intellect, but nevertheless I would therefore never put it in front of others expecting them to do so. It would only reinforce their tentative view that "poetry is only for highbrows". Free verse may indeed be so which is one of the reasons I exclude it ... but not the real balladry poetry we proudly present. :) The Man From Snowy River.

I would like to inspire people to appreciate Australian ballad poetry at least. It is TRICKY!! Our featured poets are extremely skilled ... and very basic and uncomplicated too.

I prefer "Twas Mulga Bill from Eaglehawk who caught the cycling craze..." or John O'Brien "Said Hanrahan" which a surprising number of visitors here can partially quote...than ALG (no offence to him).

Anyway...

I have no real problem with the English claiming him and having his bust in Westminster. Good luck to them. Paterson and Lawson would be a different matter! :)