Reviewers of bush poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Stephen Whiteside

Reviewers of bush poetry

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:56 pm

Australia is renowned for its lack of reviewers of poetry. This does not merely apply to bush verse, but across all genres.

By 'reviewer', I mean somebody who is prepared, without fear or favour, to offer a critique of a book of poems. Of course, there is no 'right' way to view any poem, but it is generally recognised that it is a valuable exercise for an individual, with all his or her inherent biases, to bring to bear their intelligence, experience, concentration and analysis to bear upon a particular body of work.

A good review will spark the reader's interest in the work being reviewed. The reader will usually read the review at two levels. On the one hand, of course, he will read what is being said about the book. But on another level, the reader will also be learning about the reviewer. Am I likely to agree with this particular reviewer? If the answer is yes, and the reviewer likes the book, then I probably will also like it. But if the answer is no, and the reviewer does not like the book, then perhaps I will also like it!

So why are there so few poets prepared to step forward and review other people's works? It probably has a lot to do with us being a small country. People are afraid of offending others, or making enemies. In a way, I suppose, the internet, by bringing us all closer together, accentuates this problem.

It's a shame, and I'm as guilty as anybody else. If we could find more courage and tolerance, to write and encourage reviewers, it would be better for us all.

Wouldn't it be great, for instance, if the ABPA could guarantee that a professional review (one that concentrated on the poetry, and not the poet) could be guaranteed to be placed on the web-site for all Bush Laureate nominees, in all categories?

The ABPA magazine would, of course, be the obvious place to publish bush poetry reviews, but the more I think about it, the more opportunities I see.

Trad & Now is a magazine for folk and roots music. It has a bush poetry section, and another section for CD reviews. Why not bush poetry reviews?

State writers' centre newsletters, poetry club newsletters, local papers, all present themselves as potential publishers of well written bush poetry reviews. Published reviews would both advertise and educate, and could only benefit the movement as a whole.

Of course, reviewers don't generally get paid, but they usually do get to keep a copy of the book they are reviewing, so it's a good way to build your library.

What about it? Is it time we all put our hands up to have a go at being bush poetry reviewers?
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Neville Briggs

Re: Reviewers of bush poetry

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:05 pm

Interesting idea. I think it would be the best way if someone not connected with the ABPA were to do reviews of ABPA material. I do read book reviews in the newspapers and a current affairs journal, and I listen to The Book Show on ABC radio.. As far as I can see, all the reviews are written by people looking in from the outside, as it were.
By the way, book reviews are an excellent way of finding great books that might otherwise not be well publicized.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:27 pm

Neville, I also read and enjoy book reviews, and Stephen, I like the concept of good reviews of bush poetry books. If we could get the occasional one published in the mainstream media it would be even better, but it won't ever happen unless we start by publishing good reviews in our own publications first. But Stephen I think you are right about our small population, and bush poetry is only a small part of that small population. Objectivity might be a problem unless, as Neville says, you get an outsider to do it... but aren't all good bush poets members of the ABPA? :lol:
Robyn
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:47 am

Yes, it's all rather circular, isn't it, Robyn.

Neville, I heard some time ago that the Australian poet Peter Porter - now deceased - was Australia's only full time professional poet (a writer, not a performer), and that writing reviews of poetry kept him going. It was much more lucrative than writing poetry! (Maybe he reviewed other stuff as well - not sure about that.)

I also have a feeling GBS was a fairly prolific reviewer, but I may have that wrong, too.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:57 am

Morning Stephen and others,

When I read Stephens topic I entered with curiosity. After reading I sat and thought about it for a while.

I recall that in the early days (my awakening to bush poetry and the internet) I would jump on and comment enthusiastically on every post. I felt anonymous. No one could see me or even knew who I was. Others then commented on my comments. Making me feel that I knew nothing and perhaps I should learn more before I made comments. I backed off a, little but not much. Then I began to improve my writing skills and even had some success in written competition. I met several members of the ABPA at festivals and corresponded with several on line. Hence, I was no longer unknown and had learned to examine other peoples writing for little blips. The result is that I now know I still have a lot to learn. I often make errors in my own work, therefore I feel less inclined to comment publicly on other peoples work. I am very careful about what I say for fear of showing my ignorance. So I almost always resist the urge to be spontaneous. I'm not sure whether I prefer the state of ignorance or semi enlightenment. I am trying to keep my new years resolution to "remember it is not all about me".

Maybe others have developed this awareness and this is why there are few who are prepared to stand up and say exactly that they first think about other peoples work. From my point of view, at the moment, I could only say what I really think if it was anonymous. Also I know that the result of a competition is only the opinion of 'that judge' on 'that day' and not a 100% measure of the worth or a poem or a poet.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:04 am

I think your last sentence there Zondrae is a very worthy comment one we would all do well to bear in mind.

IMO you have only ever given useful critiques and hints and your expertise is valued as are any comments you make. Please don't stop.

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:55 pm

Thanks Maureen,

I am always open to giving my ideas privately and have done so to several poets who have gone on to bigger and better things. However, I do stress that whatever I say is only my opinion and no one can, or should, tell you that your writing is not 'good' or 'right' or try to make you conform to their ways.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:12 pm

Stephen I think there may be a few who would question your remark that Peter Porter was Australia's only professional poet. One of them being a bloke named Murray.
While I agree that serious reviews of bush poetry would help improve our standards one would indeed have to be brave to take on the job.
You may remember that I criticized a poem on this site that won a major written competition a few years ago and I am still bathing the bruises I received.
It has been my experience that while many will ask for an opinion very very few are willing to receive
criticism or for that matter suggestions meant to be helpful. Usually what they are looking for is praise.
You mention the magazine Trad and Now but if you pay attention to the reviews contained therein you will rarely find an adverse comment.

Jeff Thorpe

Post by Jeff Thorpe » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:35 am

I find Stephen's Subject Matter and the comments interesting. Brought to mind a poem entitled "La Nina Came to Visit" which I submitted in the User's Bush Poetry section in April this year. I asked for opinion on my word structure in a couple of places however, received no replies at all.

Left me wondering whether the work was not even worthy of a reply, good or bad. In saying that though, and as Zondrae mentions, I've never thought I was qualified to "review" as such, anyone else's poems.

Jeff

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:18 pm

G'day Jeff,

Did you think to try a pm to some of the more accomplished poets (I had in mind David Campbell) and asking them if they might 'have a look at' one of your poems. Usually our members are happy to give some ideas or their opinion, privately. As I said I have done this in the past and a couple of those who sought my opinion have gone on to win comps. If you ask politely the worst that they can say is 'No'.

I believe fervently in sharing knowledge. I am more than happy to pass on some of the technical things I have learned. But as I said - no one can tell you your poem is 'good' or 'wrong' - they can however tell you why it is not suitable for a certain genre. (or particular competition).
Zondrae King
a woman of words