Thoughts on poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Heather

Thoughts on poetry

Post by Heather » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:47 am

Poetry ... wasn't written to be analyzed; it was meant to inspire without reason, to touch without understanding.

NICHOLAS SPARKS, The Notebook

Brenda Joy

Re: Thoughts on poetry

Post by Brenda Joy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:26 pm

If only...
Sing HU to open your heart.

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Doesn't poetry ever do that to you Brenda?

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:55 pm

Indeed Heather. An element of mystery is essential for poetry or we might as well just write essays.

Someone has said that we should not always seek to explain or leave no detail for the reader to figure out, or they feel they have not been engaged. In our interaction with people we have to figure people out, they don't explain and provide every detail of what they mean.
That makes for lively communication.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Brenda Joy

Post by Brenda Joy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:09 am

Of course Heather - I love a lot of poetry that wouldn't survive analysis.
Sing HU to open your heart.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Everything survives 'analysis' Bren, it's just that some don't fare so well in the judgement ... :D

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:28 pm

And some shouldn't be analysed or judged - simply enjoyed. :D

william williams

Post by william williams » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Just who say's poetry should not be enjoyed, And why should it be analysed and twisted to conform to what others say it should be after all it is your poetry not theirs

Bill the old Battler

keats

Post by keats » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:14 pm

I agree with everything said here. Unfortunately as soon as people enter their poetry in a competition it is up for analysis and scrutiny by the appointed judges. And if successful then also by the other entrants.

Neil

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:34 pm

Too true Neil.

When I did English and English Literature in high school, we had to analyse poems and novels to the nth degree and I often wondered if the author knew that's what they had meant when they wrote it! :roll:

One of my favourite poems is one that is a flight of fancy; it is whimsical, it is magical, and I don't know that it has meaning other than to be a thing of beauty. I don't understand it's meaning to the author and it doesn't matter; I just know it sounds lovely and has lovely images and it always makes me smile and feel good - always. I thank the beautiful poet that wrote that poem. x

Another favourite poem is one that takes me to a place every single time I read or recite it. I love that poem for the images it evokes. I see it, I feel it, I smell it. I want to be there - I am there. That is poetry.

Heather :)