Benchmark

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
manfredvijars

Re: Benchmark

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:39 am

Gets my vote David ... :D

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:04 pm

......and then he woke up....... :D :lol:

I love it David!

Heather :)

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:51 pm

Actually I have never come across anyone that says one "should" imitate any of the greats. i.e. ".. if they did it that way then we should too". Never. If they said it, it would be bad advice surely as nobody can imitate them. Those folk pass through the world only once.

"that way" is also a puzzle. Does it mean try and imitate ... or does it mean write in a perfect ballad form, as they do by example... but with all the attributes I mentioned previously. I would say the second is likely.

Who could do it "that way" of CJ Dennis in the vernacular. Who would be crazy enough to suggest others try it. I tried decades ago, got to a couple of lines and tore it up... as it was so amateur, clumsy and off.

They might though, as bush poetry comps frequently do, require a traditional Australian ballad form of poetry writing, and cite Lawson/Paterson as being excellent exponents/examples of same, in case anyone needs clarification and guidance. Fair enough.

But that is a far cry from someone saying "they did it this way and so should you" It is a subtle difference in intent, but important to appreciate what was meant.
I have never heard of anyone saying someone "should" write in any particular way.... we all evolve our own comfortable and signature techniques, don't we? I have never been told to do it this way or that.

Lots of nevers there I suppose.... :)

The word "should" suggests compulsion and that after all is anathema to most good free-thinking poets surely.?.. and would be rejected.

Heather's question : "Did Lawson Paterson "write to rules"? "

As an aside, I do not write about death, misery or things that may upset the reader or evoke tears of pain through bad memories. One should not need to resort to that to be a capable writer.
Write a poem about "cancer and the agony of the sufferer and their relatives".... or how it feels to see dementia take over a loved one. Let me tell you others may revel in such pain-evoking stuff... but not this boy! And no bad language either.

BUT... those "rules" of writing, above and beyond those of technique in balladry, are personal. But are rules nevertheless and may be different to the Masters, or not. I think they probably had their own rules... both technique and subject matter. IMO

Anyway... I cannot say "Who" said ".. if they did it that way then we should too", as I have never hear it said.

You write as you see fit surely? and not as anyone says you "should", and express your views as long as you are allowed to do so.... even if others may disagree, heaven forbid!..... and devil take the hindmost I reckon :) :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:45 pm

what a finish and factual as well.

:lol: Eighteen Eighteen :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spot on David and that musta been only 24 years ago how time flies.

A great yarn David I think I have heard something similar about some bloke from Snowy river.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:55 pm

Bob what ya on? I was eighteen once! :lol:

I like this one better David... :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:26 pm

On current trends you were eighteen for about 10 years ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Still looking good though. Love a country girl.

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:48 am

The 'naive' Heather :lol:
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:13 pm

Vernon says that your kind words have warmed the cockles of his heart, and, if any of you are in the vicinity of the Victoria Market on a weekend, please drop by his stall and he'll be happy to sign a copy of the poem for $2 a pop (initials only...VIP) or $3 if you want the full flourish with courtly bow and handshake.

Cheers
David

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:47 pm

I stopped by the Australian Poetry website today, and they made reference (prominently) to "Banjo Patterson". Did they mean "Banjo Paterson"? Or were they referring to Vernon? It's all very confusing...
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:29 pm

I just managed to score the double boxed complete works of Banjo Paterson - free! Just happened to be in the right place at the right time.... :)

You been plundering my image again Bob? It wasn't that long ago but it was a lifetime ago.