... bastard from the bush ...

Looking for a poem and can't find it? Post what you know and someone may be able to help.
All registered Forum users can post here.
Frank Daniel

Re: ... bastard from the bush ...

Post by Frank Daniel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:34 pm

From Warren Fahey's web page we find:

THE BASTARD FROM THE BUSH AND THE CAPTAIN OF THE PUSH
Henry Lawson composed the Captain of the Push based on stories about the Sydney larrikins who used the historic Rocks area as their base. Essentially these were street ruffian gangs who dressed in a particular larrikin style and wielded slingshots and menacing language. The Push was the colloquial name for the gangs of this area. There is some thought that the bawdy parody was also written by Lawson and it certainly contains his particular flavour. The bawdy version ends with one of Australia's classic insults and curses –
if you want the rest go to http://warrenfahey.com/Sydney-Folklore/ ... on-18.html

Joe

warooa

Post by warooa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:51 am

Great stuff Frank . . . nothing sanitised for our consumption there . . but would Henry rhyme 'rules' with 'girls'? Maybe they sound more the same vowel sound when ya full of liquor? Love the old slang . . especially "my kerlonial oath".

Cheers, Marty

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:21 pm

Great yarn - loved it - with the words used to describe the appropriate actions and not used as today as a rude and meaningless comment. I found no offence with reading it - but then I've worked in shearing sheds :lol: :lol: :lol: whereas I have to say I take great offence at hearing the 'F' word bandied on every street corner as we do today.

Have often wondered about that word used in poetry and novels etc written back in those times, but printed more recently as to the veracity of it???Did they actually use it back then????? My reason for asking is that I was told many years ago by a Police Sergeant that the word originated in police terminology as an acronym for an offender who was being charged - for unlawful carnal knowledge which rang true to my ears. But then again I was bedazzled by a sailor once who told me that QMG stood for Qualified Missile Guider :lol: :lol: which I believed for a long time. He was a CPO and very good at his job :lol: :lol: Then too I have already confessed to my version of LOL :oops:

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.