Irene Conner

Here new members should introduce themselves to the forum
Irene

Irene Conner

Post by Irene » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi
I grew up listening to my Dad reciting bush poetry - we had no TV in those days, and our evening entertainment was either listening to Slim Dusty, or listening to Dad recite. He had an amazing repertoire of poems that he recited, and had a great way of delivering them (though I didn't realise how good it was back then!!)

I wrote my first poem for anyone to read after taking part in a leg of the Outback Heritage Horse Ride in 2000. It had been such a welcome break at a less than great time in my life that I went home and wrote the poem, then forwarded it on to the team who were still riding. Co-incidentally, it arrived at a time when they had hit a bit of a down spot also, and gave a boost to their enthusiasm. I received some great feedback from it, but still didn't get interested in writing in a serious manner until April 2006 when I found and joined the Bushverse site, where I found heaps of support and encouragement from several established poets. At their encouragement, I entered my first written competition in January 2007, and was lucky enough to be awarded Commended certificates for both poems I entered. That gave me the confidence to keep going with my poetry, and I have since added a few other certificates to the initial two. I have enjoyed being part of the bush poetry community ever since.

While written poetry is what I was initially interested in, I have, in recent years, challenged myself to start reciting, and, though I still find myself out of my comfort zone standing up in front of a crowd, I am getting much more used to it now, having participated in quite a number of poetry events in the last couple of years. The old nerves still get the better of me though!!

Work and other committments have prevented me from writing much, or entering competitions in the the last 12 - 18mths, but I am hoping to participate more in the coming year, and look forward to getting the creative juices going again! I am expecting my first grandchild early next year, and this has started me thinking that I would love to have a go at some children's poetry. (Any advice welcome!! :) )

As a member of WA Bush Poets & Yarnspinners, and WA representative for ABPA - I am also keen to help raise the profile of bush poetry in Western Australia, and to increase the opportunity for both established and upcoming local poets to participate in both written and performance poetry. I currently organise both the Cervantes written competition, which is held in conjunction with their Arts Festival, and the Boyup Brook written competition - held in conjunction with their country music festival. We are looking at incorporating an open state performance competition at the next Boyup Brook festival to be held in February - which will be the first state open championships for several years. (A state novice competition was held over two monthly musters - in Nov 09 and Feb 10). I have also been asked to organise another written competition to be held in conjunction with the Jurien Bay Easter Festival in 2011.

I was been lucky enough to have met a number of members of the bush poetry community in Tamworth in 2009, and in Bundaberg in 2010, but have also found the forums on this site, and the bushverse site to be a wonderful way of 'meeting' other poets, and receiving some good constructive criticism. Long may these sites continue!!

Catchya
IRene
Last edited by Irene on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
What goes around, comes around.

MadMick

Re: About Me

Post by MadMick » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:49 pm

Hmmmm,

Advice welcomed hey?
Ok, when you hear an audible "Plastic sounding bang", or see rubbish bags involuntarily launch themselves through the air toward the beach, you've probably exceeded the car parks general parking limits!
He he, sorry dear.

thestoryteller

Post by thestoryteller » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:40 pm

G'day Irene, nice to catch up again and to see that you are still enjoying your poetry.

The Storyteller.
Some days your the pidgeon and other days the statue.

Irene

Post by Irene » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:08 am

Mick - where did you come from?!?!? :P
I missed your reply - and hence haven't had a chance to defend myself!!!! :o
Fancy telling tales out of school - I'm going to email that lovely wife of yours and tell her to sort you out!!! :twisted:
Just shift your bins out the way when I come to visit one day!! :P

Are you home yet? Or still travelling? Hope all is going well on your trip.

Merv,
Hi. I am still enjoying my poetry, but not writing much lately. Seem to have got into some bad work habits, which I plan on breaking next year by taking 8 weeks off!! :)
Are you getting over to Tamworth next year?

Catchya
Irene
What goes around, comes around.

thestoryteller

Post by thestoryteller » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:10 am

G'day Irene.

Yes we will be doing our 15th year at Tamworth. Have three two hour shows out at the Kootingal Bowls Club and a spot at the Australian Song Writer's Showcase at the Capitol Theatre plus down in Peel Street outside Target.

The Storyteller.
Some days your the pidgeon and other days the statue.

tom mcilveen

Post by tom mcilveen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:13 am

hi irene hope you received my entries for written competition, mailed them last thursday..i just got back from harrington poets by the sea ...what a weekend ..got to meet all the legends ..greg north, dave proust, peter capp, glenny palmer and gabby colquhoun and up and coming legends heather searles, peter mace and isabella bailey...wow to see so much town...it was awesome...i was 'blooded' as a prospective 'bard'..won second prize at breakfast comp..was very honored and determined to continue ...
regards tom mcilveen ...port macquarie nsw.. the budding poet.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:54 am

G'day Irene,

I hope my entries get there in time too. I mailed them on Saturday.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Kym

Post by Kym » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:38 am

YOU'VE GOT A GRANDBUBBY!!! YOU'VE GOT A GRANDBUBBY!!! Your little grand-daughter is here ... what is her name, how heavy was she, does she have hair ... I was just thinking the other day that she must be getting close.

Congratulations!!!

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:01 pm

Yeah Kym
All that hull-a baloo about a cyclone coming to the southwest was just Irene kicking up a storm about becoming a NANNA; I can’t wait for the poem that is sure to follow. :P :lol:

8-)
I Keep Trying