G'day

Here new members should introduce themselves to the forum
Jasper Brush

G'day

Post by Jasper Brush » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:19 pm

My names John Macleod and I'm a writer. I write everything: to newspapers, poetry, short stories, stories etc. I left school at 15, and joined the NSW public service, where I stayed as an agent to the public for forty years; and retired at age 55.
During my latter years of employment I had a close association with politicians and writing letters to constituents on matters relating to transport. During my term of employment I managed motor registries at Mittagong, Nowra and Wollongong. My last position before retirement was the Manager of the School Student Tansort Scheme for the Southern Region of NSW-- from the coast to SA border.

I live on the South Coast NSW.

Here at ABPA I'm known as Jasper Brush.

ABPA is the site for Australians-- the true believers. Those of us who practise and conform to the Australian way of life.

Regards,

John Macleod

Zondrae

Re: G'day

Post by Zondrae » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:43 pm

G'day Jasper,

You must know a good friend of mine Laurie, who also worked, or perhaps still works for the transport section. Some of the members here have thrown off their cover names, it is a pity you have decided not too. Anyway, that's your choice. Isn't it good to live in a free(ish) country. Good to have you on board under any name.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Jasper Brush

Post by Jasper Brush » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:59 pm

G'day Zondrae.

Well, Jaspers Brush is next door to my home town. It's a bit of a clue to who I am. I read your bio with interest. In the late 40's and the 50's and early 60's Wollongong-- the starting place for employment for New Australians: steel works. Do a couple of years for the Federal Government and pay your taxes and you've earned the right to call youself an Australian and earn an honest living. A dear friend of mine, a German by birth, at age 18, migrated to Wollongong, worked in the steel works (PK) for about four years; brought his sweetheart from Germany, married and opened a bakery and a few cake shops. Honest work makes a sucessful business and business man/woman. Herb and Ursula retired to Berry. They are both my friend, and true blue patriotic Australians. There are many stories the same, right around Australia, of migrants from overseas coming to this country, realising the opportunities, giving it a go, and being sucessful.

I think as Australians, we should listen to others, respect what they say, and have our own point of view.

regards,

John

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:09 pm

G'day again Jasper

As I said, Isn't it great to live in Australia.
My Dad was born elsewhere and therefore chose to be Astralian. I would make the same choice if I had the chance but, by an accident of birth, I had no need to.

My mother, who was born in Wollongong but married my father during WWII, before he had been naturalised, had her Australian citizenship taken away! When the war had ended they both put in the necessary paperwork and my father was approved but my mother, who had never in her life put one foot off Australian soil, was knocked back. She had to re-apply, not once, but twice and threaten to take her story to the gossip newspaper of the day, before her citizenship rights were restored.
While I do feel some sympathy for people who are homeless, those who are 'Stateless' are in a far worse condition.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Jasper Brush

Post by Jasper Brush » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Hmm... Zondrae. Wasn't that a strange twist of fate; about your mother I mean. I can't believe that. To be an original and be rejected.

I suppose I was trying to make a point: that Wollongong is a mixture of the old and the new and I loved working there.

I agree with you I can't imagine being alone, by myself, with no love around me, without anyone caring about me.

Regards,

John Macleod.