From BadgerBob ....

Here new members should introduce themselves to the forum
manfredvijars

From BadgerBob ....

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:38 pm

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to see ourselves as 'others' see us.

Thank you for your candor Bob(AND permission to post), it is appreciated ... :D

Manfred.

Sent: Tuesday, 27 December 2011 4:36 PM
To: manfred@abpa.org.au
Subject: Bush poetry definition

Dear Manfred,

I am emailing you because I am a very new member and don’t want to display my ignorance of Australian Bush Poetry to everybody! But I am a bit confused.

The ABPA home page says: The objectives of the Australian Bush Poets Association is to foster and encourage the growth of Bush Poetry in Australia. By definition, Australian Bush Poetry is metered and rhymed poetry about Australia, Australians and/or the Australian way of life.

By studying the site, it appears that all competition winners most definitely write bush poetry, as per definition. The members’ poetry section, however, seemed to contain a lot of poetry that did not fall within this category … so much so that I read and counted a page of recent poems. Of these, two were definable Australian bush poetry, five had a slight link (like one Australian word or reference) and fifteen could have been written anywhere about anything.

I am just trying to figure out which way I am going. I get the impression that there are three broad directions within the ABPA.

1. Competition poetry with very strict rules - that I am trying to come to terms with before writing any more myself.
2. Performing poetry, which has different parameters – a reader can use pause, stress, emphasis and fudge false rhyme to great effect.
3. Members’ poetry which is more of a social interaction and can include any poetry that rhymes.

Don’t mistake me, no criticism at all, some of these non-Australian poems were very good indeed. They certainly rhymed but, apart from that, were they Australian bush poetry?

I would be very interested to receive your views and comments.

All the best for a really good New Year.

Thank you.

Bob

Sent: Wednesday, 28 December 2011 3:29 PM
To: 'Bob'
Subject: RE: Bush poetry definition

G’day Bob ...

Your observations are correct.
You may find that most of the poetry (members and others) has rhyme and metre (R&M) – some good, some bad and some in-between.
Sometimes (SHOCK HORROR) a bit of ‘free’ verse creeps in. But it’s a platform for writing R&M poetry, fun, banter and critiques (if asked for).

As Poets, NO topic is taboo and all subjects are fair game. You will find that we just like to write.
We do become more pedantic for competitions with our subject matter, rhyme, metre and VERY anal with our syllable counts ..... :)

The admin and moderators are not ‘fun’ Nazis and Forum members mostly regulate themselves as to what’s acceptable – and we do enjoy each-other’s company. So much so, that when members trip around the countryside, they arrange to pop in and visit forum members – whom they have NEVER met, save for banter on the Forum.

Don’t be shy, jump in and enjoy the water – if you can’t swim, don’t worry, there’s plenty of helping hands ... :D

By the way, may I post this email and my response to the ‘Introductions’ ?

Cheers,

Manfred.

Cheers

Bob

Dave Smith

Re: From BadgerBob ....

Post by Dave Smith » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:40 pm

Yeah Bob jump in and have some fun or write some good serious stuff. You will find some of them write really good poetry and some of us are dunces.

I read a lot of poetry and do some performance work but as for writing, well that’s where the dunce bit comes in. :?

Anyhow welcome.

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying