Introducing Maria Mongelluzzo

Here new members should introduce themselves to the forum
manfredvijars

Introducing Maria Mongelluzzo

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:27 am

I'm about to inflict you all onto an American high school student. I know you'll make her feel welcome and help her with her thesis ... :)

--------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Vijars,

My name is Maria Mongelluzzo and I am a high school senior at the Ellis School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the United States. I am currently working on my final paper for my English class, my Senior Thesis. Since I love Australia and was looking for a challenge, I decided I would be the first person to introduce my school to Australian Bush Poetry. My paper focuses around Henry Lawson and Banjo Paterson and their “Bulletin Debate” of the 1890s as well as some modern Bush poets. Using their descriptive poetry, I am looking at the differing environments and cultures of life in the country and life in the city. I am currently gathering a lot of information from books, but was looking for more personal experiences from people who actually live in Australia. If you could provide me with an opinion or feedback about the environment and culture of the country or city, like different sights, sounds, smells, overall atmosphere, etc., that I could not find in books, I would greatly appreciate it. If you have any opinions regarding Henry Lawson or Banjo Paterson and their poetry that you may want to include, I would be thankful for those comments as well. Because I am on a tight schedule and have certain deadlines to meet, I would be appreciative if you could respond by March 4. I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your time. If you can direct me to anyone else who may be able to help me I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
Maria Mongelluzzo

------------------------

Dear Maria,

Thank you for your interest.

I think the most productive thing that I can do for you is to introduce you to some of the 'locals' via the ABPA Forum.
There you will find modern day postings of Bush Poetry, debate about the Classics (Lawson & Paterson), debate about our craft and a lot of banter.

If you log on to ... index.php ... and register, I will 'approve' you and then introduce you to the Mob. They are VERY friendly and helpful so don't be afraid to ask any questions.

I think you may enjoy your 'learning' experience ... :)

Cheers,

Manfred.
---------------------

Rimeriter

Re: Introducing Maria Mongelluzzo

Post by Rimeriter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:12 pm

"G'day Maria".

As has been said previously.
There is much information and many helpful people you are yet to meet.

Be assured, if I can assist you, it will be a decided pleasure.
Jim.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:12 pm

G'day Maria - lovely to have you join us. Pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable - that's the way.

You should get the feel of things just by reading what is here but if you have any questions girl you just ask ....no one here will bite your head off and I am sure all will be happy to help you. Your project sounds terrific - one of your own Cowboy Poetry sites over there the Bar D Ranch site has some work of our ABPA members on it as well - American Cowboy Poetry is a very similar concept to our Bush Poetry.

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

warooa

Post by warooa » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:33 pm

Good on you, Maria . . . for taking on the topic of Aussie Bush Poetry for your thesis. I hope we can help you out in the short window of time you have, on that note don't be afraid to ask us for specific information you are after as there are many parallels between bush poets re. city v bush as there were back in the days of the Bulletin stoush between Lawson and Paterson and others.

Hope we can be of assistance to you. ;)

Cheers, Marty (the feral one from Far north Queensland a.k.a. tropical paradise . . . not the "nice" one who euthanases chooks - thats chickens - with radiator coolant and an angle grinder)

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:19 am

Welcome Maria! We're a friendly lot as you have already noticed.

Have fun.

Heather :)

Rimeriter

Post by Rimeriter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:27 am

Maria, the sights and sounds of my country are expressed in a piece of rhymed verse I originated, which I will now paste -

My Australia.

Australia.
My Land,
one nation and free,
an island of beauty
encircled by sea.

Great mountain ranges
deserts of gold,
mysterious secrets
yet to be told.

Plains so extensive
rivers and gorges
beauty and splendour
a canvas it forges.

Snowcapped escarpments
waterfall spun
crystals of brilliance
vibrate in the sun.

Birds in spectrums
of colour and light,
myriads of rainbows
banking in flight.

My land, Australia,
much more to behold
an artistic canvas
with yet more to unfold.
©. Rimeriter
circa 1997.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:05 am

G'day Maria, let me add my Welcome too ... :)

The best way would be to take a look at some of the poetry first - DON'T get caught up in the banter (yet) :)

I'd suggest as a start, go to ABPA Members Poetry, take a look at the following member's poems ...
The Company Man - northern outback in the 1960s
that little Kelpie pup
TWO LOST SISTERS OF WALLOON
THE SPIRIT OF PEMULWUY - REWRITE FOR GLENNY
THE HIGH COUNTRY
QUANDAMOOKA WAYS
DESERT INTERLUDE
Oh for a hill...
Judged-Edited- sliced . diced and munged back into shape
CITY LIGHTS
POBBLE BONKING

... and in Users Bush Poetry (any registered user) ...

The Fence
Soft brown feet.
When ‘wet time’ breaks the drought.
DOWN ON THE FARM

You'll get the drift.
Feel free to make a comment or pose a question on any of the posts and you will get a response quite quickly

Then, once you've got your feet wet, take a cautious amble through "General Chit-Chat and Off Topic" and take a look at, Chained to a tree, The Handy Tape Dispenser, Dickens and Lawson ...

If the topics aren't in the first page they will be on previous pages ...

There, and that is your homework for tonight ... :D

Rimeriter

Post by Rimeriter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:00 pm

"G'day again",

Please provide me with an email address.
That way I can send you selected pieces, which will cut down your 'homework' time.

"ooroo"
Jim.

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi Maria, and welcome.
One of the first poems most Aussies would have learnt at school was My Country, by Dorothea MacKellar. Nearly everyone over the age of 30 can have a good crack at the second verse (the first is routinely ignored except by afficionados such as those on this website.)
Another that 'everyone' knows is Banjo Paterson's The Man From Snowy River...well they all know the first few lines anyway. I would imagine any thesis on Australian poetry would not be complete without these two.
Good luck with your research!
Robyn
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:01 pm

G'Day Maria, oh yeah and welcome, most of the things you have read on this site have been written by folks from the eastern states, but I guess some of it could be right, now I am in Western Australia so what ever I tell you will the real gospel, any how for some true culture you could read The Intergrated Adjective by Nino Culotta aka John O'Grady.

http://www.thepoetsgarret.com/2002/020506.html

Tumba Bloody Rumba.

TTFN Dave.
I Keep Trying