Something About Me - Jakki May

Here new members should introduce themselves to the forum
jakkimay

Something About Me - Jakki May

Post by jakkimay » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:34 am

I was introduced to bush poetry in 2005 (or there abouts) when my husband and I were invited to Majors Creek for a folk festival. That was quite an experience!!! Eight of us in two rooms (5 in one; 3 in the other) with one toilet, one shower and no hot water!!! And ...... it was stinkin' hot. Should write a poem about that. :lol:

I have been to several Bush Poetry events and Folk Festivals since, where poetry from all genres was performed. At one of these festivals in Gundagai, I had the opportunity to attend a workshop with the wonderful Vic Jefferies. To put it in the vernacular, I was bitten by the bug.

That was in 2008 and I have been writing poetry ever since. To date I have written in excess of 200 poems, some of which I performed at The Turning Wave Festival in Gundagai last year.

I was greatly encouraged once more, by the audience response and comments from many.

Vic has been a constant source of strength, support and growth. Thanks Vic. XX

My themes for each poem differ from holiday mishaps, something I have read or seen that truly inspired me, or something spiritual. And of course .... the homework from the writing workshop. ;)

I also have other interests in painting, jewellery making, interior decorating and music.

My husband and I are in a small musical group of five, called 'Keep Watch'. Together, we entertain retirement villages, nursing homes, church groups and the like. Something we both enjoy very much, although at times we wish the audience members were more alert. :? However, I have been able to perform some of my poems on theses occasions, as well. All good. :P

So, there it is in a nutshell. I hope that helps you to know a little more about me.

Cheers
Jakki May
'Friendship is love without His wings!'

Zondrae

Re: Something About Me - Jakki May

Post by Zondrae » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:10 am

Welcome Jakii,

Like you I was captured by Vic and at Majors Creek. Only my awakening was 2002 I think. He is a wonderful Ambassador for Bush Poetry and a generous mentor. It would be great for the ABPA if more of the members took a page from his book, not only his performance skills but also his ethics and manner. I have known Vic, and his lovely wife, Helen, since 2002 and I have yet to hear him say a derogatory word about anyone. He is always encouraging and supportave of everyone who takes those first halting steps to a mike, and beyond.

It appears that you are already comfortable on stage and that you are writing like an old hand. The next step is for you to post some of your poems for us to read. Thank you for giving us a little of your time and info. I look forward to meeting you at Majors Creek this November. If not Cobargo or the National. Please come and introduce yourself.
PS: Vic and Helen should be back on the festival scene soon.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Vic Jefferies

Re: Something About Me - Jakki May

Post by Vic Jefferies » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:11 pm

G'day Jakki,
Glad to see you writing and taking the time to introduce yourself. Between you and Zondrae I am becoming embarrassed!

Vic Jefferies