Christmas ...

Share your recollections of days gone by....before they fade from our collective memories and are lost forever.
manfredvijars

Christmas ...

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:58 am

Christmas Eve was big in our house when I was a kid. Dad would go out into the bush to find a suitable tree, mostly a pine, and bring it home. He'd position it in a corner of the lounge room firmly secured in a big bucket of bricks which were covered over with a tree 'skirt' that Mum made from some Christmassy looking fabric.
We had these clip on candle holders that Dad would place on the branches - with real candles, being careful to position them so the flame from the candles would not burn the branches above (they were the only Christmas lights in those days).

There was always a star on the top of the tree and both Mum and Dad would light the uppermost candles together. Then while Dad lit the rest of the candles on the tree, Mum would get out her home made "Eierlikoer" (German Eggnog). My sister and I were both allowed to have some - yum-yum.

Dinner was usually a roast (pork or beef) followed by a very rich pudding (flambe for effect of course) topped with the most unbelievable rich vanilla custard, made with real vanilla pods, eggs and full cream milk.

After dinner Mum and Dad would have a liquor (I don't remember what sort) or a brandy. Dad would compliment his drink with a cigar, the only time he smoked them. They would take their time savouring their drinks (and cigar) while making idle chit-chat. I think they did this on purpose to prolong our agony. All the while my sister and I would be rocking from side to side on our chairs, glancing at each-other, then Mum and Dad, then each-other again, impatiently waiting for them to finish their chatting and notice that WE WERE ALSO IN THE ROOM, so we could all open the presents - PLEASE! ... :)

All the while, during dinner and afters, the Vienna Boys Choir would be singing their Christmas Carols.

The Vienna Boys Choir album was sent to the family by rellies back in Europe. Every year this LP was taken out of it's slip-case and dust jacket, lovingly dusted off and checked for scratches before being carefully set on the spindle in the gramophone. Dad would then turn the switch to Play, the LP would then drop to the revolving turntable as the arm would lift, hover, then delicately ease it's needle on to the vinyl to find the groove and once more Christmas magic would fill the house.

Christmas for me will always be the smell of singed pine needles and cigar smoke, bright, tiny pulses of flickering candles, the taste of eggnog and the sounds of the Vienna Boys Choir.

Merry Christmas to All ... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG-62zB ... 5463C3213B

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: Christmas ...

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:58 pm

That is a very precious memory Mannie - how lovely of you to share it :D I wonder if our 'modern' kids will look back with as much nostalgia as we do.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Not sure Mausie. I can only record what was 'special' about Christmas to me. my sister who was with me would doubtless record her experience differently - and still be valid.

It's good to share, particularly at this time. I'm not particularly religiously fixated in my latter years but I do take delight in the many Family traditions - old and younger, that have been and are being set.
Those traditions lock in memories of the most important relationships - Family (IMHO)

william williams

Post by william williams » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:53 am

I thank you for those memories that you have Mannie they are golden to you and may they always be
and good luck in your entry at Tamworth

AND A MERRY XMAS TO YOU MANFRED AND TO EVERY BODY ELSE

BILL WILLIAMS

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:52 am

Thanks Bill, and same to you Mate ... :D