Lagerphone

Post your images from any Bush Poetry events here.

Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb. If your greatest image dimension is 600px or under, there will be no problems keeping within the file sizes.
Keeping the LARGEST dimensions at 600px means, if the length is 600px then the width could be the same but preferably less. Conversly, if the width is 600px then the length could be the same but preferably less.
Forum rules
Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb and the dimensions UNDER 600 X 600px ...
Stephen Whiteside

Re: Lagerphone

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:24 pm

Yes. The sousaphone is named after John Philip Sousa.

That's a bit rough, Neville! All good dinky-di Aussie bush bands have a lagerphone! What would the Bushwackers be without Dobe Newton sweating and pounding away centre stage?
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:28 pm

There's lots of things I "should" do Neville. So many things to do, never enough days! I've been brushing up on Greek myths this week. :)

I did go to church twice in the last two weeks to hear a "recital" - Bach, Mozart, Schubert and Racmaninov (probably spelt wrong!) amongst the music as well as some excellent jazz performed by a school group. Amazing acoustics in a church. :) and now I am listening to music by Dylan and Cohen and others.....loud! :) :)

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:32 pm

Fair enough, Heather, but try to find a little time sometime for the Lachlan Tigers. (Great clip of the Bushwackers on YouTube.) (Just a suggestion...)
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:44 pm

Done. The bushwackers were around when I was at uni.. I think I may have gone to see them when they did a concert at La Trobe, but I can't remember. :roll:

The new CD I have is by Danny Ross. He was on one of those talent shows last year. He has a very distinctive voice and is a very talented.

Do you ever come across Lindsey Meldrum in your festival travels Stephen? She has a beautiful voice and I'd love to hear more of her. I think she was working on an album. Another beautiful voice is Vendulka - I saw her at Corryong a few years back and she sang Leonard Cohen like it was her own. She was only 15 at the time.

Heather :)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Stephen Whiteside wrote:That's a bit rough, Neville
I said some people might, I suppose there are some who may delight in the lagerphone. My understanding is that the lagerphone is an adaptation of a thing called a "jingling johnny" which used to ( may still be ) carried out the front of military bands and sort of shaken in time with the march rhythm. The jingling johnny in turn came from Turkish military music culture of the 18th century and for that reason often has an Islamic crescent device on the gizmo.

Oh Heather, Mozart and jazz in the same program, how could you :lol:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:46 pm

Yeah everybody knows that Heather ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:04 pm

Well I have never heard of a "lagerphone band" Neville... but Bush Bands are definitely not uncommon. :)

I am one of those people that delight in hearing a lagerphone (when it is extremely well played!) and I think that it is an important part of a Bush Band .. especially at dances.

To play it.. you have to be spot on too!... shuffle, syncopation and straight beat/rhythm.. plus friendly smiles at the same time. Not as easy as it looks.

I reckon Stephen taking that on with a post lagerphone is really cool and groovy! :)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:35 pm

Gary Harding wrote:Well I have never heard of a "lagerphone band" Neville
I know, I made it up. :lol:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:38 pm

:lol: :lol:

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:50 am

Nice pickie Stephen,

I was going to make a comment on tuning but someone beat me to it.
Zondrae King
a woman of words