Poetry Reading

Recurring debates on important poetry topics.
william williams

Re: Poetry Reading

Post by william williams » Thu May 15, 2014 9:49 pm

sorry Neil I stuuffed up and put it in twice so take your choice,

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu May 15, 2014 10:34 pm

It's in the audio bit Neil. (Fixed the other for ya Bill :)

Bad hair day Marty :roll:

keats

Post by keats » Fri May 16, 2014 7:30 am

Thanks Heather. I knew it was in the audio section, I just wasn't sure if there a specific piece Bill was referring us to. I'm just hitting the road for the winter and heading north so look after Victoria for me while I'm away!

Neil

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri May 16, 2014 9:29 am

I must confess I'm a little perplexed. I'm not used to this level of nastiness on this web-site...
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Fri May 16, 2014 10:06 am

Hi Val. Remembering your contribution to the success of Toolangi last year, I hope you do enter that competition!

Stephen moves seamlessly from reading to reciting from memory, and people very obviously enjoy both. It's worth remembering here that we, as poets, might take note of whether someone is reading or not, but it's probably not something the general public is particularly aware of. All they care about is clear expression, a lively, engaging performance, and interesting subject-matter. Of all the many questions I've had after a presentation, nobody has ever asked why I'm reading. The question I do get over and over is usually impossible to answer: "How long did it take you to write that?" And I suspect the reciters are asked: "How do you remember all that?"

There's an intriguing technological development occurring that might add another dimension to this issue some time in the future. Google Glass is a pair of glasses linked to a mini-computer. You can take photos by looking at something and winking an eye or call up a map (for example) with a voice command and see it as a heads-up display. Sort of like a mobile TV screen in front of your eyes. It's not too difficult to see further developments along the track that allow you to load data (such as a swag of poems) into its memory and call them up as needed. So no holding of a book needed as the words are there in your line of sight. If that's integrated with prescription glasses, anyone on a stage wearing glasses could be reading...or not. Who would know? Sounds a bit like science fiction, but it's worth considering as a possibility.

Cheers
David

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri May 16, 2014 10:14 am

Yes, that it interesting, David. (Thanks for the compliment, by the way.) The focal lengths for looking at an audience and the inside of your glasses are very different. My guess is you would get away with it with larger audiences, but not nearly as well at smaller, more intimate venues.

I'm waiting for the technology to come along so that I can record my dreams. That would be really interesting!

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Fri May 16, 2014 2:22 pm

..I don't know that I am too keen on recording my dreams Stephen, the tapes might fall into the wrong hands!..... :roll:
Ross

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri May 16, 2014 2:34 pm

Yes, there is that.

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Fri May 16, 2014 3:15 pm

Yes Stephen, I wondered about the focussing problems. They've been testing the Google Glass for some time, and one of the reviewers reported that at first he got slight headaches using his right eye to concentrate on the little prism in the top right-hand corner while the other eye went "without use", but then "my eyes and brain adjusted to the phenomenon to the point where it's intuitive". He also said that the display acts as a much bigger screen, equivalent to a "25 inch HDTV screen sitting eight feet away". So, theoretically anyway, I imagine it would be possible to concentrate on the display while still having some awareness of the audience, even in more intimate settings.

In California last year a software developer was given a speeding ticket for driving while wearing Google Glass. The mind boggles, given the current problems with those who try to text while driving! She argued that the device wasn't operative, but switched itself on when she looked up at the policeman who pulled her over...apparently it can be activated by a tilt of the head. Imagine the invasion of privacy issues with a mini-computer pair of glasses that can be turned on by tilting the head, making it possible to take photos (or video) merely by winking an eye. Reading poetry is pretty tame stuff compared to the implications of that!

Cheers
David

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri May 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Oh you guys! :roll:

I've just finished reading a biography on Grace Kelly and in her later years she took to reading poetry - to packed houses - and apparently was very good at it - something to do with being an actor perhaps and knowing how to use her voice. (Not bush poetry of course). She was due to do a reading in England but unfortunately died a matter of weeks prior to the event.