Spenserian Sonnet - "Retirement"

For sharing of original song lyrics, together with haiku, sonnets and other unusual poetry forms. Although not strictly bush poetry, we welcome the sharing of members' compositions in these three genres, with a view to inclusiveness and mutual encouragement. Open to all Registered Forum Users. See Board Index for separate section on free verse and non-rhyming poetry.
Shelley Hansen

Spenserian Sonnet - "Retirement"

Post by Shelley Hansen » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:00 am

Morning All! In my meanderings through reference sites about poetry I came across this fascinating variation on the traditional sonnet form. It was invented by Edmund Spenser, a contemporary of Shakespeare, and is named after him. Here is the definition:

A single verse poem of 14 lines, consisting of 3 sets of 4 lines (quatrains) which are interlocked by their rhyme scheme, and finishing with a two-line rhyming couplet. Thus the rhyme pattern is ABAB BCBC CDCD EE, but the poem is displayed without breaks between the lines. It is written in Iambic Pentameter (5 pairs of syllables per line with the stress falling on the second syllable of each pair). Each quatrain develops a metaphor, conflict, idea or question. Traditionally, a shift in thought (known as a volta) occurs with the ninth line of the sonnet. This can be reinforcing the initial idea, or presenting a counter-argument. The final two lines provide a summation and clinch the subject.

Well, after taking some time to get my head around that mouthful, I decided to give it a go. Honest feedback welcome!

RETIREMENT (A Spenserian Sonnet)
(c) Shelley Hansen

The prospect of retirement loomed ahead -
I searched conflicting feelings in my heart
to know if I should celebrate or dread
the change of circumstance about to start.
Then doubt crept in - a tiny poison dart
which told me that my usefulness was past,
suggesting I might struggle with the art
of populating days that flow too fast.
But reason's voice replied, "The die is cast!
The promise of this day has seen you through
the worst of stressful times. It's here at last!
Embrace it with the things you've longed to do!"
So now, content, with heart and mind set free
I spend my days in creativity.
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: Spenserian Sonnet - "Retirement"

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:11 am

Well I love it - and can relate to the concern expressed and the ultimate ending as well.
Sometimes retirement can hang heavy on our shoulders but I would never envisage that for you and Rod with the many activities and interests you share ... well done
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:31 pm

Ah yes, Shelley - this sums up all the thoughts and feelings related to approaching retirement so well and yet is so wonderfully positive. I love it too!

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:16 am

Thank you so much ladies!

Yes, retirement is good for me! Interestingly, Rod has never quite given up - taking on small jobs and wanting to keep his hand in with his painting trade. Now with a local trade labour shortage due to COVID, he is taking on more work (and knocking back even more requests for quotes!)

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines

Ron

Post by Ron » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:45 pm

Ah yes, well done Shelley! There seems to be many options in the variation of the sonnet forms, and you certainly got your head around that one well.
I went through those retirement mind games myself about Four years ago and I think once you do retire, priority of passionate pursuits becomes the rule of thumb. That is as long as the mainstay of good health allows of course.
Excellent sonnet Shelley, it says it all.
Cheers
Ron

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:19 pm

Thanks Ron!

Yes, I'm a firm advocate for creative retirement in as good a state of health as we can muster!

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines