The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Gary Harding

Re: The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Post by Gary Harding » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:50 pm

Here is another verse compilation by actor Chips Rafferty.

This time reciting the complete Digger Smith, a very moving story in rhymed ballad verse written by C J Dennis during the last months of World War One.

Digger Smith was, of course, one of The Sentimental Bloke's mates.
It is a lovely two-record set from my Collection and a true Rarity.

So rare that I am certain that the only place you will ever see it is right here on the Forum.

Included in this boxed set is a libretto with some verses reproduced.
It all makes for a wonderful display item.

The fact that Festival Records and Chips Rafferty would go to the trouble of producing this beautiful boxed record set featuring the The Spoken Word demonstrates to me what a truly patriotic, happy, unified and cultured society Australia was back in those good times. A proud country with a true National Identity that many Diggers gave their lives for.

.. from A Digger's Tale.. (Digger Smith had just spun an unlikely yarn about Australia to the Society Lady in England who was hosting him..)

"I baulks a bit at that; an' she sez, 'Well,
There ain't no cause at all for you to feel
Modest about the things you 'ave to tell;
An' wot yeh say sounds wonderfully reel.
Your talk'--an' 'ere I seen 'er eyelids flick--
'Makes me 'omesick.

"'I reckerlect,' she sez--'Now, let me see--
In Gippsland, long ago, when I was young,
I 'ad a little pet Corroboree,'
(I sits up in me chair like I was stung.)
'On its 'ind legs,' she sez, 'it used to stand.
Fed from me 'and.'

"Uv course, I threw me alley in right there.
This Princess was a dinkum Aussie girl.
I can't do nothin' else but sit an' stare,
Thinkin' so rapid that me 'air roots curl.
But 'er? She sez, 'I ain't 'eard talk so good
Since my child'ood.

"'I wish,' sez she, 'I could be back again
Beneath the wattle an' that great blue sky.
It's like a breath uv 'ome to meet you men.
You've done reel well,' she sez. 'Don't you be shy.
When yer in Blighty once again,' sez she,
'Come an' see me.'

"I don't see 'er no more; 'cos I stopped one.
But, 'fore I sails, I gits a billy doo
Which sez, 'Give my love to the dear ole Sun,
An' take an exile's blessin' 'ome with you.
An' if you 'ave some boomerangs to spare,
Save me a pair.

"'I'd like to see 'em play about,' she wrote,
'Out on me lawn, an' stroke their pretty fur.
God bless yeh, boy.' An' then she ends 'er note,
'Yer dinkum cobber,' an' 'er moniker.
A sport? You bet! She's marri'd to an Earl--
An Aussie girl."

We believe that Visitors will leave the unique Australian Cultural Centre with a true understanding and love of their own country and say, "Wow! I did not realise that Australia being such a young country has done all of that".

I will let Digger Smith express his thoughts...

"Beauty," sez Digger, sudden-like,
"An' love, an' kindliness;
The chance to live a clean, straight life,
A dinkum deal for kids an' wife
A man needs nothin' less. . . .
Maybe they'll get it when I go
To push up daisies. I dunno."

"Dreamin'," sez Digger Smith. "Why not?
There's visions on the hill.". . .
Then I gets up an' steals away,
An' leaves 'im with the dyin' day,
Dreamin' an' doubtin' still. . . .
Cobber, it's up to me an' you
To see that 'arf 'is dream comes true.

As Bill says ... "it's up to me an' you..... "

That includes all patriotic financial ABPA Members, as well as random lunch-eaters visiting here.

At The Australian Cultural Centre Project we rely on our own resources (time and money) and like Digger Smith, we have our own "vision on the hill".
We intend somehow to make as much of Digger Smith's Australian dream come true as we can... especially for those generations yet unborn. That is of course if Time, the great Enemy, does not beat us... and we find ourselves as Digger Smith said, "pushin' up daisies" first. And there are people who would be more than happy to see that fate befall us. :)

Yep, it's up to all of us here ... to do our bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:52 am

Maureen recently posted on her excellent Australian Rhyming Poets facebook page a photograph taken at Henry Lawson's funeral with an accompanying poem by C J Dennis marking Henry's death. (The newspaper article is poorly worded and with spelling worse than mine. Somebody must have written it in about two minutes flat to meet a deadline).

Upon studying the photo, I noticed prominent in the foreground and at the bottom LH corner, a gentleman standing facing towards the grave.

There was a flicker of recognition and then I realised that it was undoubtedly Henry's fellow bush poet and close friend, Jim Grahame.

Now this fact may have been noted by observers somewhere at some previous time and is old hat ... or not... I don't know.

But in case it has slipped through, then just for the historical record, Jim was there and one might think that he respectfully and symbolically represented all the "Mates" (like himself) that Henry made during his lifetime among ordinary Australians, and the good ballad poets of his time who also loved him.

Further examination produced a candidate for Banjo Paterson... but I will leave it there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:46 pm

Thanks Shelley.
I don't know about "including my talents in my memorabilia "..(Nov 11)

My own talents are rather insignificant.

However I do particularly admire the ballad writing of some ABPA members like yourself who regularly make their mark prominently and successfully in the Bush Poetry world.

I was drawn into the folk music scene (as it was called) and found myself in a very active bush band with a kindly group of talented musicians.. and yet I never counted myself as either talented or a musician. I have tried my hand at writing bush poetry and achieved no remarkable constant success, nor too evident a failure luckily.

So these days as a final chapter in the venture, I merely Collect accomplished ballad verse and bush band music... it being rather easier to be a Collector of those noble vices than a Doer of them now!

Placing the occasional post here allows me to share some experiences in these areas with others and develop a useful and unique repository of knowledge involving bush poetry which I hope will not be destroyed just yet.

The Shearer's Tally Bush Band which I was invited to join was formed when The Black Velvet Band broke up shortly after releasing their excellent record "Live At Pentridge Prison" (pictured). I am told all the hard cases like murderers muscled into the front row and can be heard applauding the band. It is the best album of its genre and my favourite above ALL others. It is worth obtaining it.. if you can. Not having it, in my view, would be missing something great in life if you like foot-tapping music. Trust me.

Also included below is a picture of The Shearer's Tally original band in the early days. We look so young then! ...probably because we were.
Bush Poetry and bush music are closely related I think.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:37 am

The famous singer/showman Tex Morton, just as Chips Rafferty did later on with Digger Smith (see previous post) also recorded the work of C J Dennis with his performance of "The Sentimental Bloke".

It was released on Festival Records (FL30092/93 Mono) in 1961 as a lovely double album containing the entire Sentimental Bloke book. (fifteen tracks)

However presumably its popularity was such that this record was reissued later on the Calendar label as a cut-down single record (eight tracks) and called a selection. Calendar was Festival's "budget label" and as can be seen, even the basic cover art was borrowed from the original. This was apparently common practice with Calendar record issues.

The two slightly different covers are shown below.

Both records (single, and double album set) are in my collection, with the single LP being there just because it is a variation.... and eccentric collectors are inclined to do that sort of strange thing.

Anyway I hope this is interesting....?

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:21 am

Children's Balladry (Poetry) Part 1

ABPA Members have produced lovely illustrated books of poems for kids.
At the proposed Australian Cultural Centre, children's poetry will find a deservedly special display place.

C J Dennis wrote "A Book For Kids"

Banjo wrote The Animals Noah Forgot.

This copy of Banjo's children's book is drawn from my Collection.

It is a First Edition (1933) and best of all it is inscribed (the rear side of the half title page) by Banjo Paterson himself:

With best wishes of the author to an old schoolmate
A B Paterson June 1933

I think I might know who the "old schoolmate" probably was but I just have to find the time one day to complete the researching. This should then give it a tentative, if not semi-robust provenance.

Additionally, this copy is bookplated by Muriel Steinbeck (1913 - 1982) who (at least in her day) was a famous Australian film actress. For anyone interested, Wiki has a lot of info on her remarkably accomplished career, describing her as "overall, a classy dame". Fair enough I suppose. She appeared in Homicide, no doubt with Leonard Teale.

Also :
https://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/steinb ... myee-15546

Muriel initially worked in the Macleod Gallery, Sydney, where she took a particular interest in art and the work of Norman Lindsay, who in turn illustrated .. yes! The Animals Noah Forgot.

Pasted-in bookplates were once fashionable, indicating that a publication belonged to that person's library. However they can detract unless the owner was famous (like Muriel) in which case it can add value.

As might be appreciated, being a First Edition and actually inscribed and presented by Banjo Paterson himself, and owned by Muriel too, makes it an extremely valuable book in both monetary and heritage terms. An actual National Treasure.

Pretty amazing stuff.... real Australian Literary Culture. As always, I hope it is interesting?

The book itself is an important item which in turn belongs right in front of people, not on a covetous collector's shelf.

And if fate smiles on us, that is where it will end up. :)

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:35 pm

Children's Balladry (Poetry) Part 2

1. In 1984, an LP record was released entitled "The Animals Noah Forgot" (see pics below) narrated by Brian Harrison. (see pics)
It is neither rare nor expensive (mine cost $10) but it is a lovely item just the same.

The cover art is the original Lionel Lindsay work, coloured-up for effect.

The record will complement the above Paterson inscribed copy (I don't know where I dig up half this stuff! ha) and poem samples from the book.
I think that it is the poems themselves.. the rhyming ballads.. which are the real thing. But in such a visual/sensory age, all the trimmings necessarily lift it up ... and act to validate it for visitors.

One day it would be good to re-issue this album privately on CD (with the co-operation of the copyright holder obviously) and sell it in the retail section. However, many bridges to cross before then. The first dreams come before the rest of them.

2. Below is a picture of Muriel Steinbeck in a movie poster. She was very attractive and a previous owner of the inscribed "The Animals Noah Forgot".

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:16 am

OUR AUSTRALIA DAY 2023

At the Australian Cultural Centre Project, we grabbed quick chicken and champagne for lunch. (Supermarket chicken $8.99 and a $6 bottle of favourite bubbly). Then it was back to work.

When you are involved in such a large, truly Patriotic and private undertaking (more than $100mill project!) time is precious.

Jan 26th is great, but for us of course, Australia Day is every day of the year. When you dedicate your entire life (unpaid) for seven years to proudly showcasing your own country and its real achievements.. true Australian culture; not what is served up by agenda-driven governments... and spend your own life savings to do it, I like to think that is what it really means to be AN AUSTRALIAN.

The angst of suffering an ever-diminishing bank account is well offset by the patriotic Pride I feel when I regard our masses of brilliant displays.
Sure we represent no minority voting bloc or racial group, so there is clearly nothing to be gained by any self-serving politician acknowledging us. (I think by now they recognise us for the threat we are to their agenda of overwriting all that we love so dearly). That suits us fine... but we reckon that we are the true Australians Of The Year... and are quite happy to toast ourselves on that basis... and get on with the job.

"The advantage of being an independent private Australian Cultural Centre is that we are not forced to leverage our material to promote anyone's political agenda. We do not, quote, "interpret Australia's social history" (National Museum) and nor do we push so-called "issues". Things are not viewed from anyone's "perspective". Opinions are rigorously excluded and history-rewrites, subtle or otherwise, are also forbidden. Slanting of displays in order to convey a political message or an advantage to any person or group is excluded.

We believe that is the way it should be. Absolute Integrity. It is how we operate and what sets us totally apart from Government Insitutions.
As a result of this proper, dutiful and responsible approach, Guests will be able to confidently bring their precious children without fear of having their minds messed with or propagandised. Refreshing and ..... totally Unique!"

Below is a photo of a recent interesting addition. The Wombats Bush Band. Warts and All !

I had never heard of this Band or any of its members except the name Noel Craven seems to ring a bell.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:04 pm

An area that we intend to feature is Australian Humour.
In my opinion, the outstanding person in this field is Barry Humphries... (Dame Edna, Sir Les Patterson, Barry McKenzie etc). We have some material featuring Barry.

One exceptional item makes a lovely showpiece and I am rather proud of it. However, my favourite is this LP and its associated theatre program .. a set dating back to 1962. The program is uncommon I think, so for me to manage to put the two together is something special.

Barry has written an autobiography entitled My Life As Me.

I procured my copy at an op-shop for $2. Sometimes I feel miserable when doing that because the book gives one so much and yet I pay so little... and the author gets nothing.

Anyway I might, if I may, quote the very last lines of the very last chapter (entitled Dusk) in his book .

"This must be beautiful at dusk," I said.
A boy and girl - sweethearts they might once have been called in a sentimental age - overheard me.
"What's dusk?" one of them said, too young for effete poetics. Far too young to remember hats or blotting paper.

- Have I become Sandy Stone, the last repository of these quaint anachronisms, and with the word dusk still in my vocabulary?
And so I set these things down before the the onset of the first of a thousand small physical degradations as, in the still-distant suburb, Death strides whistling towards me.

I hope before "Finis" for Barry (now 89yo) we can complete our Cultural Centre ...and then he may elect to approve of what we have done to enshrine him. We might even earn a few gladdies from Dame Edna... a woman of great Culture herself.

That would be sufficient reward. Gary

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:50 am

Just catching up on your recent informative posts, Gary.

Love that verse from Digger Smith - and I reckon Chips Rafferty would do it justice.

As writer who is always in quest of the perfect ending - whether in poetry, short stories or something longer - I think Barry Humphries has come pretty close!

As for your $2 bargain ... I've heard one Australian author remark that you know you've "made it" as a writer when you see your book in the bargain bin at Vinnies!

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:04 pm

Yes Shelley... imagine finding your own book on a table at a local charity booksale. What would you think!!?? If it was only 10c I guess you would not be impressed. :)

Art. The Australian Experience. PART 1

As might be known, Art is often used to good effect to enhance bush ballads by lending them more visuality.
We intend to present (in our own way) reproductions of artwork that have very identifiable Australian subjects.

Background

My Art teacher at high-school was Mr. Peter Barlow who was very famous for his paintings and sketches of horses, notably Phar Lap. (see below). He also did a remarkable Ned Kelly collage (see below) and prints of these are still available for around $45.

I notice my school report Card (below) shows my mark being around 74 (blue) with the class average (red) of much the same. That is being extremely kind, I'm sure. My mark belies the fact that my Theory assessment must have been stellar to offset my Practical Art (drawing) which would have been off the scale at the wrong end.

The Colonial artists (Louis Buvelot, von Guerard, and their mates) were capable and at times quirky, (Lawson refers to "a bob-tailed kangaroo" in his school textbook) but then one moved to the Heidelberg School and that was a MAGICAL world of its own. Tom Roberts, Arthur Streeton, Fred McCubbin, Walt Withers... I remember being taught how those artists skilfully used light to bring a flat subject to life.

We also learned about the French Impressionists, Cubism.. and Pointillism (very peculiar). And then also the bloke who painfully cut off his ear, much to the amusement of the class no doubt.. what's his name?

I really enjoyed studying Australian Art Theory. And yet it is only in later life that I have truly come to appreciate these guys. They are the Patersons and Lawsons of Another Great Australian (Cultural) World I think. A photo does nothing compared to a great painting of the same scene. Why? no idea.

I still remember Mr. Barlow talking about The Heidelberg School. Also greats such as Hans Heysen, Rupert Bunny, Albert Tucker, Arthur Boyd (Ned Kelly series). He loved the aboriginal landscape artist ***** ****** (Today I cannot use his name or photo as he is dead). Mr. Barlow, being a very accomplished artist himself, treated it all very passionately and that attitude was transmitted to the class I think.

ART was really a wonderful Australian Cultural subject and it has mostly stayed with me.

Now we have the unique special privilege of presenting it to Visitors in summary form... and other things too....