OH JULIA

This section contains archival material from former Forum users.
Membership forms: http://www.abpa.org.au/membership.html
Heather

Re: OH JULIA

Post by Heather » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:01 pm

Well that wouldn't happen in Heather's world Vic! :lol: Poor little Anglo Saxon men!

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:39 pm

The idea that jobs should be preserved for special groups has always been a pet hate of mine. Like Heather I always feel that the best person should always get the position. I had around 7 supermarkets in my group throughout the mining towns and most were managed by women. I found that most of them had husbands or boyfriends in the towns and were much more reliable in the long term. many of them were women who had given up careers to follow their husbands and seemed to fit in a lot better as they were already part of the town.

The best person for the job, Yes when all the benefits were considered they were.

Cheers Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Irene

Post by Irene » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:47 pm

Heather, I also could not believe anyone could be so stupid to vote for Julia Gillard just 'beacause she is a woman'!! or just 'because we need a change!!"
I have nothing against those who voted for her because they believe in her, but to vote for someone for such weak reasons as the two above baffles me completely!!
Roll on the next election, I say!! ;)
What goes around, comes around.

Irene

Post by Irene » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:48 pm

Oh, and I liked your poem Vic!!! :)
What goes around, comes around.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Hello, I have three degrees and twenty five years experience in this particular field and would like to apply for the job. Sorry we would prefer to have a man fill the position! Is that the point your making Matt?

vwalla

Post by vwalla » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Could we please, please, keep Politics and Religion out of Bush Poetry.We need at least one place ( an oasis in the desert of confrontation) to be free of all this rubbish!!
Val W

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Val I suggest we do what Henry Lawson, The Banjo and company did (especially CJ Dennis)
we should write poetry about it!

Vic

vwalla

Post by vwalla » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Was their poetry so personal?
Val W

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:18 pm

Just remember at any stage you do not have to participate in the discussion ????

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Just typed out a reply and had it disappear on me.
Yes Val on occasions their poetry was personal. However I agree we should not get bogged down in the discussion of the content but we should discuss the poem(s.) I believe our poetry should be about contemporary issues and subjects not only about swagmen, drovers, dogs and dunnies which are of less relevance to Australia's way of life today. Poetry has been at the forefront of social comment and change for centuries and has indeed been instrumental in bringing about needed reforms. You will remember that Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry helped end the slave trade and child labour in England.
What if we could produce another CJ Dennis to write about social issues on a daily basis? What if we could discover another social commentator of the calibre of Lawson? Might re kindle an interest in "Bush Poetry" and create a better informed population.
Blue The Shearer does just this on a weekly basis on ABC Radio and has a huge following.

Vic