The Crowd

This section contains archival material from former Forum users.
Membership forms: http://www.abpa.org.au/membership.html
Neville Briggs

Re: The Crowd

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:56 pm

There is Manfred....poetry. :roll:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks for the reply Terry.

Marty and Bob, I won't be submitting my piece to any bush poetry comp, so the question of its acceptance is irrelevant. :roll:
Lots of people get enjoyment and satisfaction from going in the bush poetry comps. Why shouldn't they, good on them. It's about having fun isn't it.

Thanks for the comment Leonie. I greatly respect your poetic ability and I am truly pleased by your approval.

Leonie you mentioned changing your point of view, you hit the nail right on the head.
Changing the point of view is the key to broad enjoyment of poetry.

Consider this stament " Football is a game where the players use their feet to move the ball, AFL, NRL and Union use their hands to move the ball so AFL, NRL, and Union are not football games, only Soccer is football " That's the categorical view, to see in terms of one category from one point.
The discerning view sees that football is not just about contact with a ball, it is about ( we hope ) tactics, teamwork, sportsmanship, athletics, club loyalty and pride etc etc.
That's the discerning view that sees each code in turn from its own point of view.

Similarly in bush poetry, I think there are many possibilities. It's not just about arranging a format, its about word power, the special language that speaks direct to the emotions, the "music" of the poetic voice , the language within a language that shows up the ordinary things in a way that is surprising and different.
We see each type of poem in turn from its own best point of view.
And you have to work at it, it won't just come from a cosmic vision.

Surely within the accepted style for bush poetry Marty, there's plenty of scope for creative writing. Attila the Hun is not at the door if you try your hand at something other than comical or sentimental ballads.

That's to-days sermon. Don't forget to put your money in the plate. ;)
Neville

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Tick

Tick

Tick

right on all three I reckon Marty, Did not like it and probably never will but bush poetry as you note has clearly defined criteria and it does not meet them all regardless of the metre.

Bob
Last edited by Bob Pacey on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Neville doesn't punch Matt, he's a gentleman! :) He is very wise and learned! And he has a photo!

Heather :)

Terry

Post by Terry » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi all,
I don't really care what others write, I guess it's up to the individual, Personally I prefer traditional Bush Poetry.
But Marty does make a good point, there have been several times on this forum in the past where people have objected to what they deemed to be other than Bush Poetry posted here. ( I don't mean anything nasty)
But I notice of late there have been several instances of where people have again flirted with what could be described as something akin to Free Verse.
I suppose if enough of our members want to go down that track we could have a special section for shall we say 'Experimental Poetry'.
Just a thought.

Terry

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:24 pm

Yeah Terry it is called a rubbish bin ?????

Bob

Terry

Post by Terry » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:06 pm

Ouch!!!

Terry

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Play nice Bob. You can apologise now - or off to the naughty corner with you...

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:37 pm

See ya I was already in there.

Bob

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:38 am

I've given my explanation, anyone can make of it what they will.

I accept without any problem that if I post a piece on the site it is fair game for comment or criticism. I do have an expectation that such comment would be reasonable.

I see Marty that you have characterized my piece as pseudo-intellectual. I think it is reasonable that I should ask what is the basis for that criticism.
An accusation of falseness is a harsh criticism, surely there is evidence to substantiate such a comment. Could you point out the evidence please ?
Neville